• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires and Lug Nuts for Jeep Cherokee

discokid

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all - I just purchased some 15"-Grizzly, dark grey aluminum wheels (Ecco style) for my '88 Jeep cherokee. The stock wheels on the truck are trashed and some of the lug nuts are missing and some are mismatched (like with washing machine nuts and lockwashers). I have 2 inquiries:
1. I've done the research on tires and like the Yokohama Geolandar AT+ II series for traction and the Michelin Cross Terrain (ratings not as high as the Yoko's) for ride comfort. I do not plan to do off-roading at this time. Does anyone have experience with these tires?
2. What are the size of the lug nuts and are there some really sharp ones out there (source?) that are one-piece (not steel and tin plated) that match the dark grey alluminum of the grizzly wheels?

This forum has been great. I can't believe the amount of help I've received, being an inexperienced Jeep owner. Thanks all again.

I believe you will be happier with the cross terrains.Had similar tires on the wifes 98 ran them for over 50K they are now on the 87 and will still pass inspection,tread is a little thin for a daily driver now,but the 87 doesn,t move much.
2 -Studs are 1/2 x20 thread size.I have only seen the chrome nuts in the "mag" style or "acorn" style. NAPA ,PEP boys,Autozone,Advance all have them. Jegs has chrome and colored nuts but no black.

Wayne

I currently have the Yokahama Geolanders At+2. I love them except for the road noise that make. That have great tread wear and traction on and off road. Road noise is barable but could be better.

I had the Cross Terrains, and they are smooth, quiet, and kind of soft. They handle pretty well, but are on the ride comfort side. Go with them unless you are looking for tight handling. They are great tires. Go with the Michelin LTX M/S if you don't mind sacrificing a tiny bit of ride for stiffer handling.

I've got about 10K on a set of Geolandar H/T-S G051. They wear extremely well and handle water and mud very well for a stock all-season tire. This set handles far better than the old set of Goodyear's they replaced, and for the price (~$300.00 inc. s/h) I'm very happy with them.

Atl XJ said:
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. It has the road manners of the Michelins and the offroad, snow, etc ability of a good A/T tire, plus they wear very well too. They're the highest rated A/T tire on the market--not to be confused with the regular Dueler A/T.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+A%2FT+Revo&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=375SR5ATREVOWL6&fromCompare1=yes&place=2#Survey
I'll second that. Best tire I've ever had. Even got the street version for my wifes van and she says it handles wet roads better.

Might want to check out McGard lug nuts. Lifetime warranty against rusting. Available at Summit Racing or Pep Boys. Maybe other places as well.

otto said:
I've got about 10K on a set of Geolandar H/T-S G051. They wear extremely well and handle water and mud very well for a stock all-season tire. This set handles far better than the old set of Goodyear's they replaced, and for the price (~$300.00 inc. s/h) I'm very happy with them.

Just don't get the regular H/Ts. Thats what came on my XJ when I bought it. They had terrible wet traction and they sucked big time in the snow too.

If you're not planning off roading at this time, you might look at Nokian Vaativas. A little cheaper than the equivalent Cooper Discoverers (also very well liked by many), good highway manners, very good on snow even though they're not dedicated snow tires, and good wear. They're also pretty decent for mild offroading of the "Class IV road not maintained" variety. If you can't find the Nokians, Cooper Discoverers are very good for all-around all season use too.

Your lug nut size is 1/2x20, you can buy them in most parts stores in 5 packs, 4 lug nuts and a locking one in individual packs or 20 packs with 15 lug nuts and 5 locks. If you have a friend that works in a tire store they have them individually for like .50 each for a plain chromed lugnut. One local parts store here has them in bins of loose lug nuts for $1 each, any style just no fancy plastic pack to hold them and better chrome finish than the 'rally' brand or whatever they sell in AA.

I bought a set of Geolandars AT+2 a couple of months ago. I don't have enough experience with them to comment on wear but I haven't had any traction problems with them in dirt and wet conditions. Their ride is a little on the soft side which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you are used to. However, I got used to it and really enjoy the highway ride. Their is some road noise but it's not bad...yet

I have a coworker that does some serious off roading and has 33" Geolandars on his XJ. He loves them and says the traction on rocks and dirt is excellent.

Back