• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlights won't come on

elprimito

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '91 xj 4.0. Sometimes when I pull on the light switch, the lights don't come on. The parking lights and instrument lights do turn on but not the headlights. I stick my hand under the dash board and move the wires around (that are connected to the light switch) and the headlights come one. Then the light switch will work normally for a while. I have a really hard time getting on the floor and looking under there. Is there an easy way to pull out the light switch and look at all the wires, or maybe replace the whole thing?
Thanks for any advise.

elprimito said:
I have a '91 xj 4.0. Sometimes when I pull on the light switch, the lights don't come on. The parking lights and instrument lights do turn on but not the headlights. I stick my hand under the dash board and move the wires around (that are connected to the light switch) and the headlights come one. Then the light switch will work normally for a while. I have a really hard time getting on the floor and looking under there. Is there an easy way to pull out the light switch and look at all the wires, or maybe replace the whole thing?
Thanks for any advise.
Time to replace the head light switch.

elprimito said:
Can I replace the headlight switch myself and if so, how?
1. Disconnect battery
2. Reach under dash, and feel around on the top side of the headlight switch (opposite side of where elect. connector attaches) for a small button. This button holds switch knob shaft in the switch. Pull out on light switch knob while pulling OUT on this small button. Knob shaft should pull out of switch altogether.
3. Light switch is held to dash panel by the decorative nut that surrounds knob shaft hole. There are four slots in this nut to allow it to be unscrewed with a big screwdriver.
4. Pull light switch out of dash panel from back side.
5. Disconnect electrical connection from light switch
6. Reassemble in reverse order.

My '96 does this occasionally. I found that hitting the high beams (pulling in on the turn signal stalk) gets them to come on. Give it a try.

Steve

AZ Jeff said:
1. Disconnect battery
2. Reach under dash, and feel around on the top side of the headlight switch (opposite side of where elect. connector attaches) for a small button. This button holds switch knob shaft in the switch. Pull out on light switch knob while pulling OUT on this small button. Knob shaft should pull out of switch altogether.
3. Light switch is held to dash panel by the decorative nut that surrounds knob shaft hole. There are four slots in this nut to allow it to be unscrewed with a big screwdriver.
4. Pull light switch out of dash panel from back side.
5. Disconnect electrical connection from light switch
6. Reassemble in reverse order.

I've only found them installed the opposite of the way you described. The button is on the bottom of the switch and must be pushed toward the switch while pulling out the knob.

Then unscrew the large threaded insert that holds the switch to the dash. This will free the switch and allow it to be pulled lower so you can reach and pull off the wire plug.

Back