• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft vibrations causing transfercase to get hot?

CaptTrev

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a new lift (RE 5.5") and haven't had a chance to order the new SYE and driveshaft yet. ( I did install the RE transfercase drop (~1"), and I am currently on 31's with stock gears)

Ive got a 96 4.0 auto with NP242 transfercase.

I've been driving short to medium distances (5-30 miles) the past week, with very noticable vibrations from 5-45 mph, worse when I'm coasting(foot off the gas).

anyway, I have been able to live with this for now until I get my new shaft ordered and installed, but my question is this:

Just out of pure curiosity after driving ~30 miles last night I felt the case of the transfercase and it seemed really hot (I didnt have my infared thermometer on hand so I dont know exact temp, but it seemed too hot for air temps around 65 degrees)

Is it possible that the driveshaft vibrations are transmitting heat up into the transfercase, and subsequently causing excessive wear??

I am fairly certain I have enough fluid in the transfercase because I change it regularly.

Will I be alright driving like this for a couple weeks until I get my new SYE and shaft? (Tom Woods)

Thanks for any advice/info!

CaptTrev

get sum elcheapo 4degree shims from re or other that will help and it'll be worth the wear you'll save on the t-case output shaft bearings and seal

The transfer case will be too hot to touch under normal conditions. With or without SYE.

That said, the vibrations are certainly not good for the bearings and such in the case though.

Dirk Pitt said:
The transfer case will be too hot to touch under normal conditions. With or without SYE.

That said, the vibrations are certainly not good for the bearings and such in the case though.

yeah - after putting in my SYE i checked the t-case temp with the hand msthod a few times and was worried, but found by searching in OEM tech that t-cases get hot...

XJ_ranger said:
yeah - after putting in my SYE i checked the t-case temp with the hand msthod a few times and was worried, but found by searching in OEM tech that t-cases get hot...

Same exact story here.

does anyone know approximately (I know there are a fair amount of variables here, but Im trying to get a rough idea) what temp the oil or outside case of the transfercase would get in ~70 degree weather with 30minutes of 55mph driving?

I would like to hit my t-case with my temp gun to see if it falls within (rough)spec

thanks

CaptTrev

Back