• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 and blowby overflow bottle

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
Well, many of us know the blowby problem of the 4.0 and how the air fliter gets slowly soaked in oil. Some have problably heard of the gatorade or tin can catch bottle way of getting around that.

I've been thinking for sometime of how to accomplish this, but wanted something a bit more 'stock' looking than the 'ghetto' fix. To that end, I've been searching for several months for some kinda of bottle to use. The closest I ever got was a bottle out of a newer KIA sportage, but the hose nipple was sheared off so didn't bother, but that probably would have worked ok.

Last week at the wreckers I came across an Asuna, which had the coolant overflow bottle in it. The tubing on it is far too small, but not a problem. simply cut the tubing, and with one piece connected the two nipples, and took out the one inside. Picked up a couple fittings at Partsource for under $10. Got brass elbows, so drilled a whole at either end of the top of the bottle, and screwed in the fittings. Withsome careful working, on my XJ it fit perfect in the front driverside corner perfectly, and with a couple piece of tubing I had already, re-routed it through the overflow bottle and into the air box. So far working flawlessly, and is nicely catching the oil that's coming through the breather tube. Total cost: Overflow coolant bottle $5.50 +tx two brass elbow fittings $7.12 +tx. About an hours time to make sure I got everything fitting in properly before I tightened it all up.

In case youre wondering what an Asuna is I think its the Isuzu car (Stylus, Impulse, I-mark, or something) and I don't believe Isuzu vehicles differentiate too much mechanically so you could start looking for Isuzus which seem plentiful anyway (at junkyards). Isuzu stuff also appears in the Geo Storm and I believe Chevettes so you could check these out. Why GM (controlled Isuzu) decided to give a vehicle a completely different name in Canada is beyond me. I don't have the oil problem though.

It's the Asuna I took it off of is basically like a tracker or similar vehicle. The KIA Sportage I found a nice workable one as well, just the one I found was busted.

cykaaro said:
Well, many of us know the blowby problem of the 4.0 and how the air fliter gets slowly soaked in oil. Some have problably heard of the gatorade or tin can catch bottle way of getting around that.

I've been thinking for sometime of how to accomplish this, but wanted something a bit more 'stock' looking than the 'ghetto' fix. To that end, I've been searching for several months for some kinda of bottle to use. The closest I ever got was a bottle out of a newer KIA sportage, but the hose nipple was sheared off so didn't bother, but that probably would have worked ok.

Last week at the wreckers I came across an Asuna, which had the coolant overflow bottle in it. The tubing on it is far too small, but not a problem. simply cut the tubing, and with one piece connected the two nipples, and took out the one inside. Picked up a couple fittings at Partsource for under $10. Got brass elbows, so drilled a whole at either end of the top of the bottle, and screwed in the fittings. Withsome careful working, on my XJ it fit perfect in the front driverside corner perfectly, and with a couple piece of tubing I had already, re-routed it through the overflow bottle and into the air box. So far working flawlessly, and is nicely catching the oil that's coming through the breather tube. Total cost: Overflow coolant bottle $5.50 +tx two brass elbow fittings $7.12 +tx. About an hours time to make sure I got everything fitting in properly before I tightened it all up.

I just increased the length of the large tube from the valve cover to the fipk connection and ran it with a loop that runs under the filter creating a "trap" in the hose. Since doing this I have driven several thousand miles combined highway and not a drop of oil to the filter. The air still passes through the oil in the tube just fine and once every 2 weeks I disconnect from the fipk and lift the tube to drain any oil back into the valve cover....total cost 1.02

Did anyone check to see if your ccv system is clogged or now to restrictive for the engine?
It does that because the blowby is stronger than the vacuum of the engine and through the fresh air tube and into the breather is the path of least resistance.
Running larger ccv vacuum lines and fittings will alleviate the problem, usually.

On previous XJs, I used to do the same thing you guys are doing until I wised up.

Okie Terry said:
Did anyone check to see if your ccv system is clogged or now to restrictive for the engine?
It does that because the blowby is stronger than the vacuum of the engine and through the fresh air tube and into the breather is the path of least resistance.
Running larger ccv vacuum lines and fittings will alleviate the problem, usually.

On previous XJs, I used to do the same thing you guys are doing until I wised up.

yes but the increase in vaccum loss to the egr system costs you in advanced timing and different than stock map readings....cost me about 4 mpg when I went from the 1/8" line to 3/8" line. the trap works just fine

xjnation said:
yes but the increase in vaccum loss to the egr system costs you in advanced timing and different than stock map readings....cost me about 4 mpg when I went from the 1/8" line to 3/8" line. the trap works just fine
That's unfortunate.
I lost nothing.
Of course, at the same time, I went in and cleared out alot of unneeded emissions crap, which probably helped.

Okie Terry said:
That's unfortunate.
I lost nothing.
Of course, at the same time, I went in and cleared out alot of unneeded emissions crap, which probably helped.

which cant be done in most cases....vehicle inspections and all....

xjnation said:
which cant be done in most cases....vehicle inspections and all....
Key word being 'most'.
We have no inspections, but they wouldn't apply to my off-highway vehicle if we did.

My way is set it and forget it.

bajacalal said:
Why GM (controlled Isuzu) decided to give a vehicle a completely different name in Canada is beyond me.

Basically the same reason you can't buy a "Wrangler" in Cananda, the manufacturers don't own the right to that name in other countries. Have you notice some TJ's actually say TJ on the side but not wrangler? It's because they are from Canada, next time you see one look at the VIN, the 1st number is a 2 i believe meaning it's built in Cananda

Just more useless info I thought i'd share.

Dingo

Back