• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lucas gear lube

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all.
It's been a while since I've posted here because I've been busy with my transmission swap.
I've got the ax15 in and I've been searching for GL3 gear lube.Have read all the posts on sulphur eating the syncros in these trannies so I contacted lucas oil and this was their reply:
Mike,
Thanks for looking to Lucas for solutions. Our 50wt Synthetic
Transmission Lube is the product you're looking for. We developed this
product for transmissions with the specs of your Jeep. It does not
have
any sulfur or phosphorous in the formulation and hence is friendly to
your yellow metals.
Thanks again,
John Mingus
Is anyone here running this lube in their ax15?Should I trust it?If anyone has a better fluid I'm open for suggestions.
I know I know,your probably saying not this topic again but please bear with me here I need to find the best fluid,I've invested $800.00 in this tranny.BTW.I did search but it just added to the confusion.

Thanks for your time.

jeepdeepfreak said:
Hi all.
It's been a while since I've posted here because I've been busy with my transmission swap.
I've got the ax15 in and I've been searching for GL3 gear lube.Have read all the posts on sulphur eating the syncros in these trannies so I contacted lucas oil and this was their reply:
Mike,
Thanks for looking to Lucas for solutions. Our 50wt Synthetic
Transmission Lube is the product you're looking for. We developed this
product for transmissions with the specs of your Jeep. It does not
have
any sulfur or phosphorous in the formulation and hence is friendly to
your yellow metals.
Thanks again,
John Mingus
Is anyone here running this lube in their ax15?Should I trust it?If anyone has a better fluid I'm open for suggestions.
I know I know,your probably saying not this topic again but please bear with me here I need to find the best fluid,I've invested $800.00 in this tranny.BTW.I did search but it just added to the confusion.

Thanks for your time.

Hmmm....interesting. I have no comment other than I want to find out also. How much is this stuff?

Almost all the parts stores around here carry the lucas line. Is lucas any good ? Never used any of their products to comment one way or the other. I like the syntehtic aspect because those AX trannys are freaken cold blooded in temps below about 30 degrees. I've been running Mobil-1 in mine for the last 225,000mi and have had no problems but I'm about out of the case I bought, the new bottles I looked at have GL5 on them, the old ones I have do not mention GL5 so that makes me think they redid the formula. Redline also makes two lubes for the AX trannies and from a reply I got from them they also do not use suplhur additives.
Just looked at the link and the 75/90 gear oil. This is where I have a problem.
See, all the GL's are pretty much the same EXCEPT GL3, all the other GL's require sulphur and other phosphates and GL3 requires NONE. SO, the question is how can it both have and not have those additives because thats what they are basically saying when they say 'meets or exceeds GL specifications', it either meets GL3 or it does'nt...

Last edited:
RichP said:
Almost all the parts stores around here carry the lucas line. Is lucas any good ? Never used any of their products to comment one way or the other. I like the syntehtic aspect because those AX trannys are freaken cold blooded in temps below about 30 degrees. I've been running Mobil-1 in mine for the last 225,000mi and have had no problems but I'm about out of the case I bought, the new bottles I looked at have GL5 on them, the old ones I have do not mention GL5 so that makes me think they redid the formula. Redline also makes two lubes for the AX trannies and from a reply I got from them they also do not use suplhur additives.
Just looked at the link and the 75/90 gear oil. This is where I have a problem.
See, all the GL's are pretty much the same EXCEPT GL3, all the other GL's require sulphur and other phosphates and GL3 requires NONE. SO, the question is how can it both have and not have those additives because thats what they are basically saying when they say 'meets or exceeds GL specifications', it either meets GL3 or it does'nt...

It's my understanding (and of course I might be wrong) that synthetics can meet GL5 without sulphur.

I've had good luck with Valvoline GL5 synthetic in my AX15.

I know what you're saying,Rich P,I can't see how it's safe to use in a GL3 recommendation.
I've looked at redline but wouldn't it cost freakin $60.00 to fill the tranny?
Matthew Currie:So what you're saying is synthetics do not have sulpher?

Last edited:
I use the Lucas octane booster in my MJ, and their trans additive helped my Taurus out a lot. I'd stand behind their stuff, never heard any bad about it.

Back