• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Surely not?????

Pogiboy

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and no luck.
Got the Rustys TC drop kit. Need to install it after installing 3inch lift, minor vibes.
P3280033.JPG

Need to get this stud out for it to work. Would use a stud extractor but dont have one.
Tcasered1.JPG

Tcasered.JPG

My question is will this work? My first thought is no way vice grips are strong enough, but has anyone ever done it? And will the long bolt with the kit screw right in after taking out the stud?

stud extractor X1000 more uses..

images

if anything will grip it, a pipe wrench will

if anything will turning it, a pipe wrench will.

I installed the same tcase drop..three of the studs came out no problem using a vice grip..the 4th wouldn't budge and I chewed the hell out of the threads using the vice grip. I ended up buying a stud extractor from NAPA which didn't work worth poop and then borrowed one from my mechanic which took it out no problem.

Needless to say a good set of stud extractors has been added to my gift suggestion list.

Ultimately I removed the drop and replaced it with his skid with built in drop. Even on mild wheeling I was scraping/catching the front lip of the tcase.

Matthew

Remove the crossmember.

Thread a nut on the stud and then thread another nut on the stud.

Loosen the stud using the first nut you threaded on.

Works every time for studs.

Dirk Pitt said:
Remove the crossmember.

The only thing I would add to that is to throw a lock washer in between the two nuts. My studs - after 5 years of living in the snow and salt of coastal NH - came right out.

Dirk Pitt said:
Remove the crossmember.

Curse and drill out the final stud because it twisted right off.

10" pipe wrench was all I could get to work

Double nutting did nothing but strip the threads

Vice grips did nothing but strip the threads

10" pipe wrench and they both came RIGHT out

Might try to spray some penetrant on the stud threads inside the "frame rail". I think there is a hole on the inside of the rail where a tube can be fed in.

went through the 2 nuts, vice grips, pipewrench. all those. NOTHIN!!! Looks like its time to break out the welder!!!!

i used a torch to get mine out, wait, i had the floor out when i did it.. yeah don't do that... use vice grips...unless you have the floor out anyway...

Ok, after spending WAY more time on this project then anyone should, NOTHING!!!!!! Looks like welding time, only problem is that the studs are soft enough I am affraid I will break them off....... Can anyone give me ONE good reason why there are 2 bolts and 2 studs and not 4 freakin bolts??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Sorry for that rant, just extremely ticked right now!!!!

Pogiboy said:
Ok, after spending WAY more time on this project then anyone should, NOTHING!!!!!! Looks like welding time, only problem is that the studs are soft enough I am affraid I will break them off....... Can anyone give me ONE good reason why there are 2 bolts and 2 studs and not 4 freakin bolts??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Sorry for that rant, just extremely ticked right now!!!!

eh

weld a chunk of metal on there and twist-er-off...

if it snaps off, grind a slot in there and use an IMPACT HAMMER with a flat head screwdriver bit to get them out... really cool tool...

Yeah, thats my next move. Like the idea of the impact hammer! Still no answer to why there 2 studs and 2 bolts, not 4 bolts?

Back