• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scary braking

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I've been noticing lately that when I'm going down a hill at a good speed I'll hear a bit of a rumbling noise and I'll feel the pedal shaking. I've also been noticing for a long time that in heavy braking in traffic the steering wheel will pull to one side and today I had to slam on the brakes to avoid rear-ending somebody and the rear end started fish-tailing badly and probably the back tires squeel until I stopped.

This is on a 1990 XJ Pioneer with a 4.0 & 5spd, I've got 31's and 3" lift in the rear and stock height in the front.

Thanks

Thanks, I've also noticed that while driving over bumps with good speed there's a clunk from the front end, I believe this is the track-bar needing tightening, could that be part of the problem too?

The wifes 90 developed a clunk going over bumps in turns after it transfered from 4x to 2x going thru a turn on a dry patch when we had snow couple years ago, brakes on hers get real cute, whirring noises from pump that dealer never could fix, and half the time when you come to a stop the pedal will shake (abs activate) and it will just kinda decide to roll an extra 5-10' than you expect it to.
Kinda a jerk-coast, almost speeds up a bit just prior to stopping

do you have bumpstops?
I had this same problem, and the other day when I was putting on my new bumpstops I noticed that the brake line running to the drivers side rear drum (line runs on top of the axle) had been pinched between the frame and the axle, cutting off or slowing the flow of fluid to that brake, causing pulling from the other side.

I'm not sure if I've got bumpstops or not, I know kinda what they do just not where they are and what they look like. Is it kinda like a hockey puck looking thing?

Look at the "frame" rail above your rear axle (take your tire off) and see if there is a piece of rubber (like a pie slice) held on by 2 bolts or just the metal piece and bolts left. You gotta have bumpstops to keep your tires out of your fenders and your axle off your frame. My bumpstops had loooong ago rusted away when I bought my 89 1.5 years ago.

Back