• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ drivetrain into 87 MJ??????

hackedxj

NAXJA Member #1090
Good news is I got an MJ! Bad news it has a blown engine. Here's what I have, an 87 MJ 4.0, 4WD, auto with a 241 case, I'm looking to swap in the complete drivetrain from a 96 XJ with a 4.0, 4wd, auto and 241 case that I already have. As I mentioned the engine is blown in the Comanche but the previous owner said the tranny and 4x4 was good, might be true. Is this a good idea or should I look for an older engine or drivetrain. I've done some searching but can find anything on swapping out the whole drivetrain with that much difference in year model. Any advise or links as to which way to go with this would be appreciated.

Just swap the long block, reuse the MJ intake and injectors - I don't think the 96 is the same. If the tranny, x-fer case and everything else is OK on the MJ, why go to the hassle of moving them. Only difference in drive train between MJ and XJ is driveshaft length. There is more of a difference between the 96 Chrysler engine mangement and the 87 Renix computer. That is why I would keep the Renix controller and intake. Blocks are the same...

One of the guys at the ComancheClub swapped the complete H.O. drivetrain and harness into his Renix truck. It's obviously more hassle than just the block, but people have a tendency to lie when it comes to selling old junk. How sure are you that the rest of the truck works fine?
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

I guess I should have mentioned that the condition of the tranny and case in the truck are not as nice as the 96 stuff which is nice, dry and clean looking, the MJ's drivetrain is pretty much a "gummy bear". The guy I bought it from said he fixed the rear brakes, after getting it home I was looking at the rear axle and noticed the driver side brake line was missing with a bolt cross threaded into the brass block on the housing........nice fix, so I don't think I'll take his word for anything else. That's the reason I'm wondering about putting the whole drivetrain in since I have it.

Other than being greasy, is there anything mechanically wrong with your current drivetrain in the MJ? If the only problem is that it's dirty, don't be such a nancy-boy. Your MJ is almost 20 years old! It's bound to accumulate some crap. Now, if your tranny and TC are toast, I would honestly consider just finding the right year parts out of the junkyard. You could always sell the '96 stuff to fund it. By all means keep the engine and adapt your Renix EFI system to the HO long-block.

That being said, I'm currently in the process of swapping the drivetrain from a '91 XJ into an '88 MJ. If you do decide to continue with this course of action, feel free to ask me any questions and I'll try to answer them the best that I can.

Brent

MJ_Chubs said:
Other than being greasy, is there anything mechanically wrong with your current drivetrain in the MJ? If the only problem is that it's dirty, don't be such a nancy-boy. Your MJ is almost 20 years old! It's bound to accumulate some crap. Now, if your tranny and TC are toast, I would honestly consider just finding the right year parts out of the junkyard. You could always sell the '96 stuff to fund it. By all means keep the engine and adapt your Renix EFI system to the HO long-block.

That being said, I'm currently in the process of swapping the drivetrain from a '91 XJ into an '88 MJ. If you do decide to continue with this course of action, feel free to ask me any questions and I'll try to answer them the best that I can.

Brent
I've never driven the truck, I bought it as is, engine blown, and am taking the previous owner's (proven worthless) word that the tranny and case are good. I know the 96 stuff is good. If the 96 stuff will work it would possibly save some headaches and when finished, have a newer, lower milage drivedrain.

Back