• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calipers: WJ upgrade

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any differences in terms of performance for the different WJ calipers that are out there?

I understand that there is a Continental/Teves caliper and an Akebono caliper.

Is one more desirable than the other? I'm running 16" wheels so I don't care about physical dimensions unless it gets me improved braking. Which is more common/available "in the field"?

T!

i remember reading that the calipers were redesigned for 2003 so they would be less prone to warping the rotors like the previous model calipers would tend to do. I believe either way, both calipers are a dual piston design as opposed to the xj's single piston design, so either one should provide an improvement in braking

I can't answer your other questions though

Thanks.

I found more info on the rotor warping here: http://www.wjjeeps.com/brakes.htm

All 1999-2002 Grand Cherokee WJ models built through May 10, 2002 came equipped with brake calipers made by Teves. They are black in color with an open-sided bracket design. Due to poor caliper centering, the Teves calipers caused the rotors to warp, a problem that has plagued Grand Cherokees. At the very end of the 2002 model year, Jeep changed to "fully-closed" style calipers designed by Akebono. All Grand Cherokee models produced on or after May 11th, 2002 feature the new calipers. International models built on or after August 16th, 2002 also feature the new calipers.

Looks like the later calipers would be "stronger" and flex less.

Just got back from the parts store with some new Akebono calipers.

Damn, those are some big mofo calipers! Pictures on the web don't do them justice - or maybe I've been screwing with import stuff too long.

This is gonna be cool! :D

Parts store: ~$72CDN each + $35 core charge.

For what they are very nicely priced. Ever priced twin pot Subaru calipers? $$$$$!

Suggestions on pads to run?

I'm a bit confused,..aren't they just reman calipers?

you can bolt alum cobra mustang calipers to the factory WJ brackets,that would be an easy upgrade.

Ok, I'll bite.

The Cobra Mustang calipers bolt up to WJ brackets?

What make are they? Brembo? Conti? What?

Do they work with the XJ MC?

Are they twin pot? Are they as large? What do they cost?

The Akebono's appear to be a massive upgrade compared to stock XJ stuff - just by eyeballing them. I expect they will be more brake than I can use but I'd be interested in knowing about the crustang parts if they are better and/or cheaper.

Aluminum for the sake of unsprung mass is not a big deal to me given this is a 4x4. They gotta be better braking and/or cheaper to be interesting

I'm going to run the Raybestos Platnium's in that you get a "free replacement" warranty for the additional costs. At my local parts store that means never having to buy pads again.

As for the upgrade, after driving Mike Rollins jeep with this conversion done, I think upgrading the upgrade is overkill. His jeep, with 35's, stops like a beemer. If you aren't careful it will launch you through the windsheild and into the next county. In doing some research I came up with (IIRC) 22% less moving mass on a much larger braking system = holy crap this thing stops.

Nope, no reason to upgrade the upgrade.

gcurtis said:
I'm going to run the Raybestos Platnium's in that you get a "free replacement" warranty for the additional costs. At my local parts store that means never having to buy pads again.

As for the upgrade, after driving Mike Rollins jeep with this conversion done, I think upgrading the upgrade is overkill. His jeep, with 35's, stops like a beemer. If you aren't careful it will launch you through the windsheild and into the next county. In doing some research I came up with (IIRC) 22% less moving mass on a much larger braking system = holy crap this thing stops.

Nope, no reason to upgrade the upgrade.

What else does he have done to his brakes?

Well I just did the conversion a month ago. I used the WJ upgrade kit meant for 1999-2002 WJ's. This Mopar kit includes the new style 2003-2004 calipers, brackets, pads, and all misc. hardware. It cost me about $150, which I thought was more than reasonable. As far as the braking is concerned there is no comparison. The rest of the XJ brakes are stock 2000, but with WJ front rotors and calipers it will lock up the front 31's at 35mph! Of course this was a violent test that I hope to never do again, but it really impressed me. I have also towed my 19ft boat and the improvement was well worth the effort and cost. Oh did I mention the greatly improved steering as a result of the removel of the Y type steering.

Angus

I forgot to mention that my WJ front end does not even have a steering stabalizer right now and it drives wonderful. I plan on installing a SS to limit jerking offroad, but the system is very stable on-road.

Angus

Last edited:
My WJ upgrade is being done in phases. Curently the tie rod and drag link are mounted in the same position as stock WJ (under the knuckle boss'. This allows for use of the factory swaybar mounts with a little clearancing. With only a 4" lift this works well, but the drag link is lower than the axle tube. My drag links are 1 1/4" rod but it still doesn't look right. My next phase will be to mount everything in a true high steer fashion. I will then have to re-align the trac bar of course. Yes, I too am using the JKS axle mount for the trac bar. If you want pics, give me your email and tell me what you want to see. I can't post pics for now so thats the best I can do.

Angus

Angus said:
If you want pics, give me your email and tell me what you want to see. I can't post pics for now so thats the best I can do.

I can host the pics.

I am also interested in hearing about the Mustang parts just for the sake of completeness for this thread and for general info.

Back