• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrade path?

twardnw

NAXJA Forum User
I've tried some searching, but come up empty. What I'm looking for is a suggested upgrade path. I'm interested in running 6-8" of lift. I say 6-8 because the only 8" kit I have found is the skyjacker, and have read that their products aren't quite up to par.

My question on the upgrade path is, should I lift first, do axles first, build/tune the engine a bit, get correct gears... you get the idea. If you're curious about my jeep... 88 Wagoneer Limited, Auto, currently sitting on 31.5x10.5 tires on 15x7 wheels. Before ou flame me about that, I'm strongly thinking about just doing a small BB to get a little more clearance while I save up for a real lift.

EDIT: Just stumbled upon this one link, thinking that'll serve my temporary purposes

Thoughts, comments, ideas? What did you do?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd suggest going the bb path for now and you can reuse them if you want later on like to add them to a 6" kit. Is this for a dd/wheeler or strickly a wheeler? I have 7-8" with hp44/9" and 37" MTRs and this is my wheeler, I have a stock 98' ZJ for my dd. With gas prices how they are and how my rig handles, I wouldn't want to drive it everyday to work. Look at what you plan to do with your Jeep before you spend the $ on different paths. I started with a 3" Rough Country lift for $225 with new shocks and 31" at tires and this was great for a dd and occasional wheeler. It also looked good and was practical. This also required the least amount of mods, no gear, arms, track bar, SYE kit needed. If I wanted lated, I could bump it up with spacers to 4-5" and then needs new arms, SYE, track bar, trimming, etc and run 33's.

Troy

jump in with both feet and see where you end up...

just dont take advantage of the new credit limit that your CC company gives you for paying bills on time...
:laugh3:

im running a simliar setup to troy, only the budget version...

my whole rig probably has 5K in it, and id bet his tires alone are 1K and bla bla bla....

this will be strictly a wheeler, I have a nice economic car to get me to and from work. I got that BB kit from rocky mountain, hopefully get it before the weekend *crosses fingers*. One of the guys I work with has a contact that is going to put together a 7.5" RE kit for me, parts from TJ's, XJ's, and some custom stuff. So I'm going to start saving my pennies now, want to have it before Christmas. I think my main concern now, after talking with some other folks (and now that the BB is on the way), is to get the thing running solid, build a rear axle, then lift and SYE/CV at the same time.

And don't worry XJ_Ranger, I only have one CC and it's only a 1K limit, so even maxing that out wouldn't get me much right now... Speaking of getting money, know anyone that needs a computer? lol

Thanks guys

-Tyler-

Back