• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BB install, results and questions

joehiker

NAXJA Forum User
So despite my buddy bailing out on me last weekend - I got my RRO lift installed. It took awhile since this was my first suspension mod and I was going it alone. But in the end I would say worked out well (learned a few things along the way as well).

My question is why would a spacer lift "sag"? I installed the 2" spacer plus a 3/8" OME trim packer (although the front measured a nominal 17.5" it always looked a bit low to me). I put the trimmer at the bottom of the stack, followed by the 2" spacer, and topped of with the factory isolator. Immediately following the install i measured the front at ~20", a 2.5" net gain (perfect...). However, now I measure the front DS at ~19.25" (only 1.75" gain) less than even the 2" spacer, and the front PS is right at 19.5".

Should the trim packer not be against the spring? It almost looks like the spring has pushed into the soft poly of the trimmer. Anyone have any experience with the OME 3/8" trimmer?

The rear has the shackles installed and netted the expected 1.5" (blocks are not in as I did not have the new center pins available when needed in the wee hours of the morning).

I also didn't install the BPEs because I couldn't get the pins out of my RS5000s (not my favorite shock, but I didn't know about NAXJA when I bought them). Any advice wrt this would be appreciated as well...

btw - Xj was a stock 95 with 30" BFG ATs before the install...
looks much better now, but I am considering some 31s

Drivers side came out pretty easy, but the passenger side put up a good fight. As far as how I did it goes, I used the RRO instructions, the instructions from the Teraflex website and info from the Forums here.

I definately recommend using the factory bottle jack placed between the back of the leaf spring and the "frame" (with the axle supported by another jack). This allows you to dial the tip of the spring, and therefore the eye/bushing, up and down to relieve pre-load for removal and aid in alignment for the install.

The driver side came out with PB and a little muscle, but I had to pick-up a breaker bar for the passnger side. btw - I found that you can spray PB blaster onto the nut for the upper shackle bolt (buried in the frame rail, and presumably welded to it) if you aim thru one of the slotted holes in the unibody.

I also had to loosen the exhaust hanger to make installation of the longer shackle easier (did bottom bolt first since the exhaust limited access), Still need to go get my exhaust tip adjusted at the local muffler shop!

sorry no pics, but if finished product pics of the shackles help I can take some

Back