• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swaping a 8.25 27 spline even worth it?

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I found a 8.25 here locally but it only is 27 spline out of a 94 xj. Is it worth swaping it for a D35? Or should i just hold out till i find a 29 spline axle?

get it and upgrade it to 29 spline. you'll need 2 shafts that are 29 spline and a 29 spline carrier

canadianwheeler said:
I found a 8.25 here locally but it only is 27 spline out of a 94 xj. Is it worth swaping it for a D35? Or should i just hold out till i find a 29 spline axle?

Yes, it's worth it. Unless you find a 29 spline already assembled before the actual swap, don't bother to upgrade it. Once you start pouring money into a Chrysler rear end you could have been building a Dana 44.

I have found the 27 spline 8.25 rearend to be VERY strong. I run mine w/4.56 gears 33s and welded spiders with no troubles.

so the bigger tubes and stronger ring gear and and pinion is better ??
from what I understand the axles are actually smaller??

or do I have band info here..

Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts,

Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts,

ps
I ran a 27 spline on 35's and locker with not problems for over a year :laugh3:

those numbers are right, but the stronger housing prevents flexing. and it can be upgraded to 29 spline for about 150 or so

pair of shafts about 100 and a carrier 50. i've seen em go for that

canadianwheeler said:
Wouldnt it be just cheaper and less of a headache to just find a 8.25 with 29 spline then build one?
I can buy one for about 225
so if you can find some axles cheap and carrrier

now the question is does the gears from a 27 spline fit a 29spline carrier

and will this require resetting the gears??

Last edited:
VegasAnthony said:
I can buy one for about 225
so if you can find some axles cheap and carrrier

now the question is does the gears from a 27 spline fit a 29spline carrier

and will this require resetting the gears??

just swap the ring gear from the 27 spline carrier to the 29 spline carrier and use the same shims...

ive never messed with a 8.25, but the d35 has shims outside the carrier bearings, so simple enough...

if you have to re-gear, i wouldnt mess with it...

XJ_ranger said:
just swap the ring gear from the 27 spline carrier to the 29 spline carrier and use the same shims...

ive never messed with a 8.25, but the d35 has shims outside the carrier bearings, so simple enough...

if you have to re-gear, i wouldnt mess with it...

I think if I was gonna do the swap
I would run a pattern at the end just to be safe

225 for the 27 spline? you can find em built for not much more than that

ouch

VegasAnthony said:
yea I know but Vegas yards stab ya
A D44 XJ style is over $600 round here

$800 at J&W's Jeep yard in Antelope, CA (Sacramento area). I found 3 at a wrecking yard next to their for $300. How's that for location x 3. :laugh3:

A 27 spline 8.25 isn't bad if you get it for free or close to it, otherwise hold out for the 96'+ 29 spline 1. You can always get 29 spline alloys Dutchman shafts for about $200-300 and then just get your locker and have a pretty strong axle. That is if you have $ to spend on building it.

Troy

The 8.25" uses odd adjusters that require a special tool.

Just bide your time and wait for a 29 spliner, or buy my crap that will be for sale in a month or so.

Fergie

Fergie said:
The 8.25" uses odd adjusters that require a special tool.

Just bide your time and wait for a 29 spliner, or buy my crap that will be for sale in a month or so.

Fergie

LOL shipping would cost me more then i would pay for them

Big Red said:
$800 at J&W's Jeep yard in Antelope, CA (Sacramento area). I found 3 at a wrecking yard next to their for $300. How's that for location x 3. :laugh3:

A 27 spline 8.25 isn't bad if you get it for free or close to it, otherwise hold out for the 96'+ 29 spline 1. You can always get 29 spline alloys Dutchman shafts for about $200-300 and then just get your locker and have a pretty strong axle. That is if you have $ to spend on building it.

Troy

I ran with a guy yesterday
37's
in a 29 spline with alloys
and a locker right
no problems ..hes been runnin it for 2 years
no breaks

that might be so, but 4.56s and 37s has to suck

Back