• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which lift?

jpars

NAXJA Forum User
3' Rustys AAL and 31s
or
2" RE AAL BB and 30s

I havent heard of driveline issues with any rustys 3" aal kit, so i might go that. But if RE is the favorite......what should i do here.

The goal is run 30s or 31s, i do wheel it but no extreme rock crawling, this is my first lift not looking for a 6" Long arm kit, just a taller, buffer jeep that can still destroy my friends 4runner, and i absolutely cant afford to do 600 bucks worth of driveline work.

i hate to break it to you guys but not everyone is as naive as to post something on these sacred forums without searching.

i search.

more specific question? its specific enough- if your goal is to run 30s or 31s, increase off road performance but like i said nothing truly extreme, and give a bit more of a muscular stance, which kit do you think is better for this, the extra height of the rustys kit at 3" or the quality of the RE name in the 2" kit.

as far as what type of terrain if you meant ground,im in oregon, so its a bit of everything. some mud, some rock, some grass, some dirt, some water.

if you meant what tire do i want to run most likely an AT although i might go with something a bit more agressive- wild country TXR's or something like that.

as far as my jeep- 96 sport 4 door auto, black, i have black allied type 81 (look exactly like http://cragar.dkhinc.com/ClientImages/series397_160x160.gif but a nicer brand.) they have good backspacing so i think i mightbe able to run 31s on the RE without rubbing- could be a long shot though.

yeah anything else

I loooover Rusty's don't get me wrong, but as far as over all quality, I'd go w/the RE. I have an Xtreme Dudty LA kit on mine and the ride quality is better than stock. I ran 30x9.50s on my XJ w/no lift and no trimming for a long time w/out problem. So, w/the RE you should be able to get 31s with ease. RE underestimates their lift heigth aslo. My 5.5 is actually about 7 so keep that in mind. Just my two cents!

.....Curt

If you're after off road performance make sure that you take care of the basics first:
1. armor (tcase, gas tank, rock rails
2. tuck the rear shock mounts up (you'd be surprised how much nicer it is without the boat anchors in theback)
3. do you have your recovery points taken care of? If not do those first!

Now when it comes to the lift:
RE will ussually net you more than 2", so in essence you can go with either, or you can make your own for less and have more $ left over for other items. Search for threads about making your own leaf packs by assembling two packs together. Keep in mind that you'll probably want new shocks to go with that. Front is easy: poly spacers are cheap and they work good.

You can run 31's on 3" easily: just don't be afraid to trim, as unless you do, when you stuff the tire you might catch a fender and do some damage to yourself with your own tire.

Now, if you'd searched, you'd have found all that :D

I run the rusty's 3". I really like this kit. The ride after the kit feels better than before when it was stock. It still hasn't sagged a bit, and it's been well over 1/2 a year. For the money, nothing compares to rusty's. On another note, you can't really compare a kit with coils to a kit that includes coil spacers. With the spacers all you're goin to get is the added lift. You're still going to get the same amount of wheel travel. Your ride will feel the same, if not worse. Yes, it's Rubicon Express, but any company can slap some stickers on a spacer and it's essentially the same thing. I say go with rusty's.

I run the rustys 3" aal and i have had no problems. i ran it like that with 31's for almost a year then i put on 1" more lift and a 2" spacer in the front to compensate for a heavy front bumper and i dont have any vibes.

Kejtar said:
If you're after off road performance make sure that you take care of the basics first:
1. armor (tcase, gas tank, rock rails
2. tuck the rear shock mounts up (you'd be surprised how much nicer it is without the boat anchors in theback)
3. do you have your recovery points taken care of? If not do those first!

Now when it comes to the lift:
RE will ussually net you more than 2", so in essence you can go with either, or you can make your own for less and have more $ left over for other items. Search for threads about making your own leaf packs by assembling two packs together. Keep in mind that you'll probably want new shocks to go with that. Front is easy: poly spacers are cheap and they work good.

You can run 31's on 3" easily: just don't be afraid to trim, as unless you do, when you stuff the tire you might catch a fender and do some damage to yourself with your own tire.

Now, if you'd searched, you'd have found all that :D

As far as armor goes, i should probably get some, but the ammount and variety of wheeling i do isnt too harsh. Its definately on the list but the lift first. I havent had any carnage that armor would have prevented yet (even though it is inevitable to happen)

as far as recovery im going to be ordering rustys front tow hook kit with whichever kit i buy and installing it at the same time. im also going to buy a tow hitch off craigslist for like 50 bucks. any other massive recovery points im missing?

im not in to the whole mixing and matching leaf packs and being creative- dont have the know how or the experience

i think i am leaning towards the rustys just because the RE kit is almost as much and rustys is a real lift not a bb...... but im still stumped.

i havent heard anything about rustys shocks are they crap or are they decent?

Check your local u-pull yards for skidplates. I picked up my factory gas skid and front skid for 15 bucks. You can get a hitch for pretty cheap too.

Back