• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Door Fixed Glass and rivet removal

kellen

NAXJA Forum User
Two quick questions,

Does anyone know if the stationary rear door glass is swappable between body styles (ie pre 97 and 97+)?

Also how do you guys remove the rivets holding the window and door lock motor in? I have heard to drill them out, but there must be an easier way.

Thanks in advance,

Kellen

If you're removing a rivet, reach for your drill. There really isn't an easier way to do that job - whether you're pulling a wiring clip or taking a body panel off an aircraft, you're drilling. The difference between the two is the quality and style of tool you use.

You can start with a 1/8" bit, but I think the rivets turn out to be 3/16". At least they're hollow - take your time, and you're working with something that already has a pilot through it.

It's really easy - I just stripped a couple doors for goodies, and barely touched the battery charge in my Makita. The rivets are aluminum.

Oh - if you use a consistent light pressure, you should be able to go right through. If you press too hard, you'll "spin" the rivet and you'll REALLY have to lean on it to get it to stop spinning so you can make it through the thing. It takes a little practise, but you should have it figured out in about two rivets.

5-90

Back