• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust mod with shackle...

Stonycar

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, Im starting lifting my XJ and Im going with teraflex 1.5" shackles. They say it could require some exhaust modification. Im just wondering what kind of mod does it involve and is it difficult to do..? Im still a newbie in all of this and i wanna do it right so if somebody could tell me whats involved in that modification it would really appreciated :) Thx a lot guys !!!!!

The current exhaust pipe will be hitting the shackle. Thats what they mean. You will need to either chop off the pipe and leave it, or chop it off and but an extensino that bends it down. I suggest the latter. I just chopped mine, and the exhaust heat started melting the poly bushing on my damn leaf springs.

To move my exhaust out of the way, I just heated the bend near the tip with a torch and moved it out of the way with a breaker bar. Just make sure you don't get it too close to the gas tank.

If you have a welder you can put a slot cut in the pipe just after the last bend over the axle. Open the slot just enough to keep the pipe from hitting the shackle and re-weld the cut filling in the extra space.

Ok thx..! But does anybody has a pic of their exhaust mod ??? That would be nice:) And another question; Since I tought of installing longer shackles because of my leafs that are saggin, I was wondering if that was the way to go. I dont wanna add-a-leaf because im gonna change my leaf pack next spring and i wana keep my shacles... Anyway, I just want to be of want im doing ... Thx

I can send pics but it will have to be email as i still cant post attachments.
PM me your email.

Aaron

Back