• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AMC 2.5 engine swap question

Tom_W

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 86 Cherokee with a 2.5 L TBI 4 banger and an auto trans. which is running on only 3 cyl. (no compression on #1) & I found an engine from an 83 AMC Eagle 2.5 L 4 banger with carb and manual trans.
Does anyone know if I can swap this engine into my Jeep, as it only has 50000 miles on it and is cheap and I am broke.
I know I will have to put my intake, exhaust, flywheel, starter, and maybe dist. on the Eagle engine, and probably make a cover for the fuel pump hole in the block, but that is no problem.
I read in some of the rebuilt engine catalogs that the engine from an 86 jeep will replace the eagle 83 - 87 & jeep from 83 - 86, but I want to bure that the 83 will fit the 86, as I do not need nor can I afford to buy a 2.5 L paper-weight

Check very carefully first, because I have a feeling that the Eagle 2.5 is not the same block at all but a GM Iron Duke or the like.

If our resident AMC guru (Eagle) doesn't chime in on this, you should PM him and ask, because he can probably tell you for sure.

Tom_W said:
I have an 86 Cherokee with a 2.5 L TBI 4 banger and an auto trans. which is running on only 3 cyl. (no compression on #1) & I found an engine from an 83 AMC Eagle 2.5 L 4 banger with carb and manual trans.
Does anyone know if I can swap this engine into my Jeep, as it only has 50000 miles on it and is cheap and I am broke.
I know I will have to put my intake, exhaust, flywheel, starter, and maybe dist. on the Eagle engine, and probably make a cover for the fuel pump hole in the block, but that is no problem.
I read in some of the rebuilt engine catalogs that the engine from an 86 jeep will replace the eagle 83 - 87 & jeep from 83 - 86, but I want to bure that the 83 will fit the 86, as I do not need nor can I afford to buy a 2.5 L paper-weight

As already mentioned, make sure to check out that engine closely first to see if it is an AMC or GM. If AMC, you should be good to go. I was going to do a swap with a 84 CJ7 with the 2.5 but could not afford the engine so went back to my original which still runs ok. I don't know much about the Eagle brand of vehicles but if it is an AMC 2.5 you should be able to make it work. Good luck.

Kim.

Not 100% certain, but it was my belief that the AMC/Jeep 2.5L engine was introduced in the 1984 Cherokee. I think the engine in an '83 Eagle will be the aforementioned GM "Iron Duke."

Mid '83 year changeover to the AMC 4 cyl. Look at the motor and see if everything is in the same place and same shape. You could even use a YJ 2.5L motor. (I have one with the EFI from a '95 YJ for sale in Seattle for $250)

It's multiport injection. Kind of far to ship (I'm on the left coast) as I am getting ready to move. Someone said they wanted it for sure and are supposed to have the money for me next friday so I'm waiting.

Back