• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

temporary removal of cat...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Passed inspection about a month ago, but the inside of the cat is rattling around something awful.

In my old days either used a prybar or long 1/2" extension to destroy the innards, or ran a "test pipe" "for awhile":gag:

Mines a '98 w/4.0, would either scenario as a temporary fix - honestly - affect performance, mileage, or the computer?

thanks,

Mike

sv

I know that the last o2 sensor is in the front of the cat, I'm wondering if it'll know what's happening after the cat. material.

Time for the FSM, running another search can't hurt either,

thanks for the help, have the feeling it will confuse the comp.

sv

mikeny59 said:
I know that the last o2 sensor is in the front of the cat, I'm wondering if it'll know what's happening after the cat. material.

Time for the FSM, running another search can't hurt either,

thanks for the help, have the feeling it will confuse the comp.

sv
It will be fine, you only have one 02 sensor.

Great news, I think that was your 1,000th post.

Playin' lotto today,

Thanks,

Mike

sv

langer1 said:
It will be fine, you only have one 02 sensor.

All 97+ xj's have two sensors, one on the downpipe and the other near the cat. It's all part of OBDII

The second one is on the front of the cat, right? Can it be removed, or plumbed into a straight pipe w/o fouling up obdII?

sv

mikeny59 said:
The second one is on the front of the cat, right? Can it be removed, or plumbed into a straight pipe w/o fouling up obdII?

sv
The second one don't control anything, just tests the Cat you will get a code the cat's not working.
P.S. Don't forget to clear the code's before your next emission check or it will show it was disconnected for awhile.

Last edited:
Thanks,

Went through that whole NYS thing last month.

Appreciate the help

Mike

RichP said:
All 97+ xj's have two sensors, one on the downpipe and the other near the cat. It's all part of OBDII

96's has it this way too, and i think 95's do too

btw if you take it out you will probebly loose a little torque at low rpms, and gain alittle horsepower at higher rpms. I made the mistake of putting a large diameter pipe on mine with a high flow performance Cat, and it now stalls all the time, and seems to have less torque.
if i did it again i would just replace the cat/exhause with factory, or close to it...

Last edited:
Back