• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Break lights sticking on...

seanR

Want to puff on my pipe?
NAXJA Member
My break lights stick on also causes trouble with TC unlock,
How can I fix this?
Is there an adjustment to the switch?
I found the switch and tried to wraop a tie strap to the break pedal arm to push the switch in farther.
If I pull up on the break pedat with my toe while I drive the cruise will work, how do I adjust this switch?

seanR said:
The shaft it's self moves in and out of the housing?
Should I just pull on it?

That's how it worked on my '95 ZJ. Push the pedal down, pull the plunger out all the way, then to adjust, pull pedal back towards you all the way, and that should do it. Take into account there may be a problem with the switch if it went out of adjustment for no reason.

The center section moves in ad out like you stated, check where the switch is mounted. most of them have 2 tin nuts on them. you unhook the wire clip unscrew the nut where it holds switch in place lossen nut on other side of bracket don't remove nut. you can adjust the switch in ward and out using these two tin nuts.
badge714 [email protected]

seanR said:
The shaft it's self moves in and out of the housing?
Should I just pull on it?
I think so: There is a part that's spring loaded and is part of the switch and there is a part that slides within some sort of a mechanism to adjust itself. I know I had to play with it when I swapped the pedal assemblies from the aw4 one to the ax15 one.

Just for reference, the switch on my ZJ was a Chrysler part, rectangular black box IIRC. No tin nuts, to remove it you twisted it like you were removing a taillight socket.

Thanks guys, as soon as my son parks it I will look at that.

I have been calling him King Dumas, every thing he touches turns to shit, you know just the oposite of King Midas.

His 1990 XJ, the motor took a shit and it was parked.
Then he strated driving his brother's 1988 XJ, it won't stay running.
Then I get tired of going to get him all of the time so I let him drive my POS, the first day, he calls me, the battery is dead, the break lights don't come off.

Back