• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Replacement

Eliminator89

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my '89 MJ's engine. I currently have the 5spd tranny and wonder if there's any problem with replacing my engine with an engine that had the auto tranny?

I wonder about installing the pilot bearing in the crank end. Was there any difference there between auto engines and manual engines?

Will a pilot bearing go right in? I have located several engines in this area but all had autos on them.

First thing that comes to mind is swapping out the flex plate for a fly wheel. There is no hole on the flex plate for an automatic. Other than that I would think that it would be a pretty simple installation. I maybe wrong, if I am I'm sure someone here will give you the correct info.

Thanks aarong. I'm just not sure if the crank ends are different. I wouldn't put it past Chryco to do something like that. I guess I'll just need to inspect it for myself before I buy.

Now then, can anyone snap a good closeup of the manual crank end so I can compare that to what the auto engine's crank end looks like?

I'm pretty sure its the same. Just needs to have the correct flywheel bolted on in place of the flexplate and there should be a pilot recess. Plus in '89 Chrysler which took possesion about a year earlier of Jeep hadn't done much to the AMC cherokee design present at the time plus its not like either company to have a wide range of parts changes.

I thought I heard (but don't remember the TPS bieng different)

Now, if its a HO rather than RENIX (pre 91) XJ there will be a few engine differnces. What engine are you planning on swapping in?

Well, the engine I am considering is a '95 HO from a Grand Cherokee. This may now be on hold. Just a few minutes ago my friend Jeff called and he may have a '94 cherokee for me. He tried to help his bum brother-in-law to get the Cherokee and now the S-O-B... I mean... B-I-L apparently won't be making the first payment. If he doesn't, I'll take it. I'll still need an engine for the Comanche but it'll have to wait a while longer.

I've read about the changes needed to use an HO in a non-HO Renix truck and am comfortable with the work needed.

Back