• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GoJeep's H/L loom upgrade relay Q

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the middle of GoJeep's H/L Loom upgrade and have hit a bump in the road. I cannot find the relays for anything. I have found them on the web however, I'd prefer to buy local. The part #'s I get off of the net won't cross with NAPA #'s. I have everything installed and all I need is the relays to plug everything into. Does anyone have a NAPA part # for these realys? Or any parts-store-chain part # to cross-reference from?

TIA guys.

If you tell them to get you "the Bosch relays, like in the Hella wiring kits" you should be able to get them. Or, just take one of your OEM relays in (which are usually Bosch relays anyhow.)

The nice thing about ordering, tho, is that you can get better prices when you buy them in batches - I buy relays by the dozen, since I use them all over.

Parts Express carries Bosch 30A relays for about $3 each, IIRC - why not get a box of those?

5-90

stesul411 said:
I did a similar relay setup I used relays out of a wrecking yard Jeep. Just ask the NAPA guy for 2 Jeep A/C relays.

So....you're saying that both 87 terminals are normally closed...meaning when relay is triggered, power goes to both 87 terminals. Am I correct?

Thanks for the help guys.

Clarification: "normally closed" means the contacts are together before you trigger the relay, at resting state the number 87 terminal is hot. When you trigger the relay, it switches the circuit to open (no power at 87).
This is not the common relay- the ones I normally run into all over the place are normally open, you need to trigger the relay to close the contacts and supply power through.
The relay may have two number 87 terminals, in which case it will supply power to both at the same time, when powered on.
More commonly, the relay will have one 87 terminal and one 87a. Electricity goes to one when the relay is at rest, to the other when the relay is triggered (energized).
How is your harness set up? Do you need one with dual 87 terminals, or do the wires to each circuit meet at one terminal?
Safety thought: a headlight harness should use auto-reset circuit breakers, NOT FUSES. With fuses, if there is a short, you loose all lights on that circuit. Darkness- great fun driving at speed. Auto-reset breakers (the common kind for automotive use) will cut out, cool, come back on, cut out, cool, come back on, etc. giving you a chance to get stopped safely, while also protecting the wiring. There are nice little circuit breakers that fit in place of a fuse, in the same holder.

Safety thought: a headlight harness should use auto-reset circuit breakers, NOT FUSES.

Yah those are gerat, I replaced the fuse for my headlamps, tail lights and blower with them, I also use them inplace of fuses fo my aux. lighting. You should be able to get them at NAPA and they come in standard fuse amerage ratings.

4xBob said:
Clarification: "normally closed" means the contacts are together before you trigger the relay, at resting state the number 87 terminal is hot. When you trigger the relay, it switches the circuit to open (no power at 87).
This is not the common relay- the ones I normally run into all over the place are normally open, you need to trigger the relay to close the contacts and supply power through.
The relay may have two number 87 terminals, in which case it will supply power to both at the same time, when powered on.
More commonly, the relay will have one 87 terminal and one 87a. Electricity goes to one when the relay is at rest, to the other when the relay is triggered (energized).
How is your harness set up? Do you need one with dual 87 terminals, or do the wires to each circuit meet at one terminal?
Safety thought: a headlight harness should use auto-reset circuit breakers, NOT FUSES. With fuses, if there is a short, you loose all lights on that circuit. Darkness- great fun driving at speed. Auto-reset breakers (the common kind for automotive use) will cut out, cool, come back on, cut out, cool, come back on, etc. giving you a chance to get stopped safely, while also protecting the wiring. There are nice little circuit breakers that fit in place of a fuse, in the same holder.

Thanks for the clairfication on the normally open/closed stuff. I am somewhat electricaly challenged at times.:dunce: What I ran into is that all I can find with dual 87's toggle back and forth between the two. (87, 87a)

My harness is set up exactly as on GoJeep's write-up. It is set up to use dual 87 terminals.

The little nice circut breakers that fit in place of a fuse, sound pricey. I'll have to check that out. Doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Thanks for the help! Much apperciated.:wave:

Cars that have alot of power acc's. ( windows, seats, etc..) usually still have the c/b's in the fuse box. I have yet to find a bad one but then again, I also grab everyone of those suckers and the fuses, too. Junkyards are great places to find all kinds of stuff,yeah? Of course, working in one doesn't hurt, either. LOL Later, Ren

I couldn’t find a part# on my relays but they were dual 87’s, 30 amp and mounting tab from NAPA. It seems like they were for power windows. On of the guys is a good friend and we just went through the catalog until I found what I wanted. The circuit breakers are only a few bucks but worth it.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

REDDOGG.XJ

REDDOGG.XJ said:
I couldn’t find a part# on my relays but they were dual 87’s, 30 amp and mounting tab from NAPA. It seems like they were for power windows. On of the guys is a good friend and we just went through the catalog until I found what I wanted. The circuit breakers are only a few bucks but worth it.

REDDOGG.XJ

Brand maybe?

They were the NAPA brand (Eklin?) and they were on the shelf one of the reasons I chose them I could just pick one up if needed.

Brand of car they fit? Who knows, like I said we just went through the book till I found a relay with dual outputs, a mounting tab and a constant 30 amp rating. Gotta read the print some of those amp ratings are only momentary.

REDDOGG.XJ said:

REDDOGG.XJ
Just did the same thing Sat. afternoon. Part # is AR274. About $15 apiece. 5-90 I checked the Parts Express link you gave in the other post, but could not find any listing for the relay's with the dual 87's. JIM.

ILLXJ said:
Just did the same thing Sat. afternoon. Part # is AR274. About $15 apiece. 5-90 I checked the Parts Express link you gave in the other post, but could not find any listing for the relay's with the dual 87's. JIM.
Hope you are happy with the results mate. ;)
I have added the NAPA part number to my write up to help others so thanks for that.

Back