• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuilt my D30.. Now it sounds like I installed a locker!

xjmatt

NAXJA Forum User
First off here is the work I recently did on my D30. Starting with this so you don't have to ask "did you replace ...."

I pulled my D30 and did the following:

Had it professionaly regeard to 4.10 (done at a shop that's familiar with regearing so I'm not doubting their work) new Ring, Pinion, carrier, bearings, spider's, pinion seal, and pinion nut
Replaced axle seals
Replaced upper and lower Ball joints
Replaced Hub bearing units
Replaced Tie rod
Replaced Tie rod ends
Replaced Upper control arm axle side bushings
Replaced stock LCA brackets with RE HD LCA brackets

I had the gears done at a shop as I said as well as had a local welder do the LCA brackets. Aside from that I did the rest of the work. I replaced the shaft U-joints last year about this time of year as well so I've pulled the shafts, and hub units before. Everything is tightened to the correct ft/lbs per my FSM and currently the front drive shaft is not in.

Now the problem:

when turning at slow speeds I sometimes get a LOUD ratcheting/creeking/popping sound and I can feel it through the floor as well. What it sounds/feels like to me is that something is catching, building up tension, and then the pop is it slipping.

If I'm at a stop, turn the wheel hard left or right then start to go it makes the ratcheting/popping/creeking sound. I then straiten out and keep going slow sometimes I'll get another couple singular pops. Sometimes I can get it to happen when I come to a stop just by turning the wheel right or left. If I keep turning the wheel back and fourth while stopped it will eventually stop happening. Another issue is if I'm at a 4 way stop and make a 90° right or left turn my wheels chirp through the turn. It's a wide open carrier too, no LSD no locker but it is acting alot like what I hear people say when they install a locker. (never experienced one first hand myself)

I had a friend drive while I was outside listening and I still couldn't track down exactly where it was coming from. Normal road and highway driving is all fine, not a sound and it handles better than it did before. It's only when moving at parallel parking speeds and making turns.

Any ideas? This one's got me and sorry for the long post.

Don't apologize for the long post, you're supplying detail that we'd be asking for in all likelihood anyway.

Sounds to me like you've got a loose trackbar. Check the axle end bolt, and the 4 bolts in the frame end mount. A very small amount of movement will make a BIG pop.

I have the RE adj track bar and frame bracket. While the axle was out I made sure the all bolts were good and tight. So I don't think it's the bracket.

The popping sound is almost like a ratcheting popping sound when I'm turning at parking speeds. Any other ideas? Everything is nice and tight so I'm really confused on this one :wierd: Thanks!

xjmatt said:
I have the RE adj track bar and frame bracket. While the axle was out I made sure the all bolts were good and tight. So I don't think it's the bracket.

The popping sound is almost like a ratcheting popping sound when I'm turning at parking speeds. Any other ideas? Everything is nice and tight so I'm really confused on this one :wierd: Thanks!

did you do the U-joints on the axles themselves ? Your list doesn't include them...I know when mine were going thats when ( turning) I knew they were bad...thats when the stress is on them.

red91inWA said:
did you do the U-joints on the axles themselves ? Your list doesn't include them...I know when mine were going thats when ( turning) I knew they were bad...thats when the stress is on them.

I replaced the axle shaft u-joints last year about this time. They don't have any play in them now like they did then.

Have you checked around the steering box? Sometime the "want a be frame" :sure: will crack, & it may be your steering box moving around. I would also take another look @ the track bar mounting, there may be a crack there, that you over looked.

Good luck in your search

Rob P

i have the same thing! when you find out what it is, please let me know...:laugh3:
oh yeah...but i do have a locker.

first things that came to mine are to make sure your tires aren't rubbing on the control arms and pull the diff cover and verify that the spider gears are operating freely.

I agree with chiXjeff! The symptoms you are explaining sound EXACTLY like the track bar. If you are sitting still turning the wheel, there can be some serious stress on these parts. Go check it again. You may need to go so far as to completely remove it. Its not imposible for one of the welds to have let go, or a stripped bolt that didnt tighten up properly.

If the clicking popping is happening only in tight turns, I would say look at your axle universals again. They are binding. If you dont repair they will likely go on you at a untimely spot on the trail. Experience talking here ;)

Also there may be a couple things happening here.

One thing to remember, just cause a part is new, dosen't mean it is good!

Good luck,
CW

Back