• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 XJ adding '98 WJ overhead console

jpearcy_68

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '99 XJ sport that came without an overhead console. I found a '98 grand cherokee overhead console on ebay and I got everything to work except the ambient temperature. The gc overhead console has a 6 wire plug but the harness from my jeep has 9 and I cant figure out how to hook up the temp sensor.

You are going to need a temp sensor which mounts behind the front bumper and below the rad. About $18 at the dealer. Also you should look at a 99XJ Factory Service Manual and a 98WJ Factory Service manual at the wiring schmatics. That way you will know what wire is what.

jpearcy_68 said:
I have a '99 XJ sport that came without an overhead console. I found a '98 grand cherokee overhead console on ebay and I got everything to work except the ambient temperature. The gc overhead console has a 6 wire plug but the harness from my jeep has 9 and I cant figure out how to hook up the temp sensor.

Is there a write up on how to do this? I also have a '99 XJ that came without the overhead console, but I figured it would be far too expensive and too much hassle to actually put one in.

Yeah you will need a temp censor. All 97 to 01 have the wiring to the grill from the passenger side fues pannel. Also make sure you have the correct wiring harness from the passenger side fuse pannel to the over head console. All 97 to 01 without Overhead console got another type of harness just to work lights and keyless entry. Here are some pics that might help. I my self have installed a 99 XJ overhead console in my 00 XJ.

EXTempPlug1.jpg

Temp censor plug location.

EXTempPlug2.jpg

Temp censor plug.

I have a 99'Xj and bought a 98' XJ overhead console off of ebay also and had my jeep dealership install and wire it because of the lack of wiring harneses.My 98 console cannot read the outputs from my 99 computer so all mine has is temp and compass, no fuel milage or DTE.They told me I would have to buy the circuit board for a 99 so they are compatible.

I'm not really sure, but I have herd of Overhead Consoles not having the complete computer. I do know that the wiring harness plug on a 99 does not match a 98 down on the passenger side fuse pannel. You may want to make sure the color wires are matching up. I also know that all 97 - 01 XJ came stock with the computer to give read outs to an overhead console if installed later. I hope this helps.
Alex.

XJAY1999 said:
My 98 console cannot read the outputs from my 99 computer so all mine has is temp and compass, no fuel milage or DTE.

2000XJSPORT said:
I also know that all 97 - 01 XJ came stock with the computer to give read outs to an overhead console if installed later.

Ok, so the deal is you need a compatible console plus the temp sensor and it will all work correctly? I would want mileage and DTE along with the other stuff. Had it on my ZJ and kinda miss it. Any idea on yearly or model breakdown?

Yes, you need a temp sensor put on the front plug and a harness for your year. Like I said before, each year (except 00 and 01 are the same) has a different plug on the end by the fuse pannel. This harness has to be installed from the roof to the passenger side fuse pannel. Replacing the original dome light harness. I don't know why jeep made the plugs diffrent but they did. If you would like more detail on the process of installing an overhead console just let me know and I can email it to you. I have pics for the install too. Which might help.
Alex

So are you guys saying that the overhead console on a 99XJ will give you compass function, outside temperature and fuel mileage??

I have a 99 XJ Classic that didn't come with a console. If the console comes with all those functions, I might try intalling one. How much are they going for? I have the factory service manual, I'll have to check if there's any info or wiring/circuit schematics on that.

MAP

Installing a overhead console is pretty easy. I have a wright up on how to do it if you want it. I got my console for $300 on ebay for my XJ sport. Good price compared to getting it at the dealership.
Alex

MAP said:
So are you guys saying that the overhead console on a 99XJ will give you compass function, outside temperature and fuel mileage??

The Overhead Console displays the following:

Outside Temperature/Current Driving Direction
Odometer
Current MPG
Average MPG for the Tank
DTE (In Miles)
Time on Current Tank (In Hours)

I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee. As far as I know all 97 to 2001 consoles will work in a 97 to 2001 Cherokee. I bought mine off E-bay for $83 without the wiring harness and installed it using this website. http://www.paceenterprises.us/Console.html You may have to read it a few times to understand it. I used a 6 and a 4 way trailer harness to hook everything up. That way I could make all the connections in the headliner, and all the connections in the console before hooking them up. I have pictures of the cuts you have to make in the headliner to install the console bracket.
Thanks for all the help from these forums because this is all info that I got from XJ forums.

2000XJSPORT said:
Installing a overhead console is pretty easy. I have a wright up on how to do it if you want it. I got my console for $300 on ebay for my XJ sport. Good price compared to getting it at the dealership.
Alex
Boy did you get hosed on your overhead!I paid $76.00 for a 98' xj grey console without wiring on ebay.Although I have seen them go as high as $425.00 on there!

Does anyone know the wiring for a '98 grand cherokee overhead console and if there is a way to check to see if the temp sensor works because im not sure if i shorted it out.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this seems closest to my question. 97-98 Grand overhead consoles are much more plentiful and cheaper than 97+ XJ. Will all the xj functions work? (i.e. mileage, trip, etc.)
Thanks.

jkmhb said:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this seems closest to my question. 97-98 Grand overhead consoles are much more plentiful and cheaper than 97+ XJ. Will all the xj functions work? (i.e. mileage, trip, etc.)
Thanks.
+1

Back