• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front swaybar size

el_roy1985

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1987 Laredo and I was wondering what size the fron swaybar is in MM. I am going to be installing it in the rear of my car in hopes that it will give me better handling. It fits under the rear pretty good, I just have to make some brackets. Thanks, Jason.

Why make brackets and convert a front swaybar to the rear when you can get the whole assembly free from most folks who are lifting their Jeeps and want to throw that out?

You can also measure the size by wrapping a string around the bar and measuring the circumference.

I'm putting this on my car, not my jeep. Ever since I connected it the first time, I just removed the whole thing cause it still rides the streets pretty good. Now I'm putting it on my car in hopes of getting better handling.

Once the measurement is made, look up the comparable rear sway bar for your (unknown) vehicle from a reputable supplier. If they are close, like within a 1/16th inch, it should work. Much larger than that and you will get really exciting road handling - as in too much oversteer, which will slide your back end around and meet the front on its way to the opposite lane. And that's on a dry road.

You learn a lot trying to road race old VW buses.

Frankly, if you have to ask a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum the size of the bar then I have to wonder whether you have the suspension expertise to be able to safely do this kind of a modification to your car. Too big of a rear swaybar can make a car handle very dangerously.

If you go ahead with this, please, test the car's handling starting out very slowly, OFF OF PUBLIC STREETS!, and only carefully working up to higher speeds.

Back