• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leveling the rear

afjeep2082

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well I've done some searching and haven't come accross what I am looking for to do this. I have the RE 4.5" lift kit with full leaf packs, in the front I put a 2" spacer in to level the front with the rear due to sagging and a new front bumper. Now my front is about an inch higher then the rear.
I already have the RE lift shackles that came with the lift I think something like 1.25" lift. I was looking for a longer shackle something like 2.50" lift but the largest lift shackle made for a cherokee is only 2.0" lift. I was told about how Chevey lowering shackles will give me enough lift I'm looking for, but I have also heard of them not being too strong and fail under under stress. I thought about lift blocks too, but a shackle and block lift combo is just going to kill my leafs so I'd rather not do that. Then there is the add a leaf option, well I don't have the resources nor the want to remove my leafs completely trear'em apart and put them back in. So my question is are there any other options? Maby another stronger shackle from another truck? I'm kinda stumped on what to do here.

I think if you remove the spring isolator in the front and run the poly spacer alone, you will only get 1 1/2" of lift in front instead of the full 2". That was stated in my RRO poly spacer directions, so yours might be different.

Given that you already have a lift shackle and don't want to use an AAL or blocks, I think that might be your best option. FWIW there was a debate about blocks a while back and the general concensus was 1/2" blocks were acceptable.

If you drop the front 1/2" and raise the back 1/2", you might be pretty close to level.

just throw a 1" block in there. do you honestly think it's going to have a negative effect??

If you still have your old stock leaf pack, take the 2 longest leafs and through them in there!! If they were as saggy as mine were they will give you the lift your looking for, but wont effect the ride all that much!

"If you drop the front 1/2" and raise the back 1/2", you might be pretty close to level"

Good idea, I might just have to do that, coil sprigs suck to get out though...oh well I have to do what I have to do. I'm still open to other suggestions though

"just throw a 1" block in there. do you honestly think it's going to have a negative effect??"

From what I hear by doing searches on here a block is fine up to 1" but with out lift shackles, the mix will sag your springs in no time.

"If you still have your old stock leaf pack, take the 2 longest leafs and through them in there!! If they were as saggy as mine were they will give you the lift your looking for, but wont effect the ride all that much!"

Good i dea but 1) I don't have the stock leafs 2) like I said before I don't have the resources or want to do it that way...too much hastle for 1" IMO.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am still open to other options..(sorry if I'm being difficult I'm looking for an easy way out here as my jeep is my only car and I work and go to school full time, so down time is also what I'm considering too)

afjeep2082 said:
From what I hear by doing searches on here a block is fine up to 1" but with out lift shackles, the mix will sag your springs in no time.

well, from my own personal experience, and not from reading a bunch of speculation, i'll tell you now that lift blocks aren't going to make leaves sag much, if any, quicker than they will on their own. think of all the vehicles that come stock with lift blocks. i've had lift blocks on my rig for ~2 years or so, and no ill effects whatsoever. both on my stock leaves before the big lift, and now on an aftermarket spring pack.

all i'm saying - since you're looking for an easy way to get it done - blocks ARE a reliable, easy and cheap way to do it. and i'll debate that all day long with anyone. AS LONG AS you get steel ones - NOT aluminum. and, as long as they're not hugely tall. plus, they're really easy to install.

Dookie said:
blocks ARE a reliable, easy and cheap way to do it. and i'll debate that all day long with anyone. AS LONG AS you get steel ones - NOT aluminum. and, as long as they're not hugely tall. plus, they're really easy to install.

i agree, the only ill affects lift blocks will do is kill already dead springs. like for instance. some one who takes stock leafs and adds lift blocks and shackles. this is bad because the old springs are shot they have been bent over more times than an adult film star, and are sick of it.
adding them to a new full leaf pack. not going to hurt anything.

caution ignorance ahead:

have a fat chick ride on the front bumper.

end of ignorance.

you could aways take the poly spacers out and grind a 1/2" or so off them with a grinder or somthing...

offset the $200+ cost by selling $20 spacers?? that sure makes no sense. lift blocks are a fraction as much as adjustable spacers... and a much smaller pain to install.

Back