• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taking bumper off?

Xjforme

NAXJA Forum User
I searched the form and didn't find my exact question. I'm trying to take the bumper off my 00 xj sport so I can insert the nutstrip on the driver side for the hitch. I found two bolts under the bumper on the painted part and two screw that attach to the bumper guards. Are there any other bolts I need to remove and is there anything I can do to make this easier to remove?

Taking off the rear bumper is an easy task as long as the bolts are not to rusty and you have a friend to help you. Take off the end caps with the two screws that hold them on. Next loosen the the two bolts that you found and get them off. There are two more nuts on the top inside. If you look from the side you can see then on the bumper bracket conected to the frame. Have your friend hold the bumper and then take off the two nuts. Slowly lower it down and that is it. I hope this helps.
Alex.

For 97-01 XJ's. The front bumper is pretty much the same just a little harder. The first thing you do is remove the font end caps. There are 3 screws and one rivit holding each one on. Two on the top inside and one by the fog lamp location inside. You may have to move the splash sheids inside the wheel well. The rivit is connecting the end cap and air dam. Just drill it out and then replace when your done with a bolt and nut. Once all screws are off hold the end cap and shift it away from the center of the bumper. Then pull up. After End caps are off you will see the screws under the cap and under the bumper. Have a friend hold the bumper and undo the four screws. Next do not move the bumper because you need to undo the vac canister inside the bumper on the passengers side. Once that is done take the bumper off. Here are so pics that might help.
I hope this makes sense. Just let me know if you need help.
Alex.

TowHookInstructions.jpg

d7_12_sb.jpg

FrontXJ1.jpg

XJLHCap2.jpg

Thanks much!
My blasted Chiltons didn't have that info.

Now where on earth am I going to put that dang canister once I fab the new Bumper? lol

Well I'm sure you will find a location for the vac. I have a 2000 XJ Mopar service manual that has everything I need to do on my XJ. It came in handy for installing tow hooks to the XJ. That is where some of these images are from.
Alex.

For that rear bumper, spray those nuts inside the bumper, let em soak. I was taking mine off every couple of years and the last time I pulled it to replace it with the tomken it cut the heck ouf of my hands. Finally got fed up and drilled 4 holes in the face of it to get at those 4 nuts so I could shove an extension thru to the socket I put on the nut.
What might come in handy for this is one of those ratchet box wrenches, once the nut backs off far enough there is no room for a ratchet and socket.

Back