• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chattering D44?

LynchMob

NAXJA Forum User
1999 I6 AW4 231 D30/D44 (open) RE 5.5 SYE

I've searched this and think its probably the d44 pinion seal/bearing??

Goodies were just swapped over to this 1999 from my old 1990. The D44 was fine under the 1990. After putting it in the 1999 I get a chattering from the rear under acceleration audible only at slow speed.

New brakes, ujoints, drive shaft, and I just changed the gear oil (no metal or damage). I pulled the rear shaft and the noise dissapears; the yoke seems solid, i.e., flush, but does have a little play when I turn it (is this normal, just the splines?) and it isn't smooth play if that makes sense. After a 20min hwy drive the housing near the pinion is warm not hot (comfortable to the hand).

Could this be anything but the pinion? I plan to rebuild this axle within the next 6mos so can I let it ride if it is?

Last edited:
LynchMob said:
1999 I6 AW4 231 D30/D44 (open) RE 5.5 SYE

I've searched this and think its probably the d44 pinion seal/bearing??

Goodies were just swapped over to this 1999 from my old 1990. The D44 was fine under the 1990. After putting it in the 1999 I get a chattering from the rear under acceleration audible only at slow speed.

New brakes, ujoints, drive shaft, and I just changed the gear oil (no metal or damage). I pulled the rear shaft and the noise dissapears; the yoke seems solid, i.e., flush, but does have a little play when I turn it (is this normal, just the splines?) and it isn't smooth play if that makes sense. After a 20min hwy drive the housing near the pinion is warm not hot (comfortable to the hand).

Could this be anything but the pinion? I plan to rebuild this axle within the next 6mos so can I let it ride if it is?
Can you move the pinion in or out at all? Your description does sound more like a drive shaft problem though.Are the yokes the same?

Last edited:
langer1 said:
Can you move the pinion in or out at all? Your description does sound more like a drive shaft problem though.Are the yokes the same?

Nope, no movement in or out.

I doubt it's the shaft; I had it shortened and balanced before install; it's a custom set up using a front double cardan, completely rebuilt...gave me no problems on the 1990.

Is that the only test for the pinion bearing/seal?

LynchMob said:
Nope, no movement in or out.

I doubt it's the shaft; I had it shortened and balanced before install; it's a custom set up using a front double cardan, completely rebuilt...gave me no problems on the 1990.

Is that the only test for the pinion bearing/seal?
Everything you are telling me is normal, no leaks, no movement, and a little backlash.
Could one of the u-joint caps have been only part way? I have seen that happen.

langer1 said:
Everything you are telling me is normal, no leaks, no movement, and a little backlash.
Could one of the u-joint caps have been only part way? I have seen that happen.

Well, that's good to hear...I don't want to tackle that job...too much else to do.

The joints all looked and felt really good. I guess I'll simply have to replace them all and see...keep them for spares.

Check the angles between the drive shaft and the pinion.You may need to rotate the housing wilh axle degree shims.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Check the angles between the drive shaft and the pinion.You may need to rotate the housing wilh axle degree shims.
Wayne

I actually already have some...from DIrk at DPG when I got the RE 5.5.

Back