• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Open or Closed d44? Searched.

LynchMob

NAXJA Forum User
1999 I6 AW4 231 RE SYE D44 (1987) open or closed????

I'm confused. I was under the impression that if you jack the rear up spin one side the other side will either spin with it in same direction (closed diff) or in opposite direction (open diff). Well the other wheel in this just stays put!??? What's up?

I ran this D44 under my 1990 when it was done up for about a year with no chattering. I changed the fluid for the first time and now have the noise...figured it might have a LS so wanted to check it first before pulling shafts, etc.

If one tire doesnt rotate I would believe you have an open diff, but if you have noise, you might have a bigger problem. Just an FYI, most refer to your 'closed' diff as being locked, or having a locker or limited slip unit installed.

Open or closed knuckle refers to the front diff. Posi or non-posi (aka Open carrier) is what is inside the gear's housing. Open knuckle means you can see the Ujoint turn if you spin the axle. Closed knuckle has a big ball over the joint. (I have a closed D44 in the front of my '73 J4000, but it's about to be swapped for an open knuckle D44 with 8 lug disc brakes)

carnuck said:
Open or closed knuckle refers to the front diff. Posi or non-posi (aka Open carrier) is what is inside the gear's housing. Open knuckle means you can see the Ujoint turn if you spin the axle. Closed knuckle has a big ball over the joint. (I have a closed D44 in the front of my '73 J4000, but it's about to be swapped for an open knuckle D44 with 8 lug disc brakes)
you're the first person to mention knuckles, and the post is obviously about differentials; "what is inside the gear's housing". Open is the normal term for a "non-posi" diffential using spider gears. Closed is not the usual term for having a locker or "posi".

lynchmob, pop the cover and check, it's easy and certain. besides, most diffs are poorly maintained and could use some new gear oil.

carnuck said:
??

Thanks for all the replies. This is differentials I'm talking about and this problem only started since I changed my fluid, as mentioned in my original post. My mistake on the misnomer "closed" thing....just typing too fast with greasy fingers.

BTW...my wife actually solved this one. I know, holy crap! Since swapping everything over from the old jeep I hadn't re-adjusted the rear drums...so the dragging was the culprit.

Still have my chattering...only noticeable on slow acceleration before the engine and road noise really kicks in.

How about the possibility of a limited slip that the clutches are worn out and were used to the old fluid?

When you put in the new fluid the worn clutches started making noise or the chattering from them trying to grip because of the new fluid but they can't because they are worn out?

LynchMob said:
1999 I6 AW4 231 RE SYE D44 (1987) open or closed????

I'm confused. I was under the impression that if you jack the rear up spin one side the other side will either spin with it in same direction (closed diff) or in opposite direction (open diff). Well the other wheel in this just stays put!??? What's up?

I ran this D44 under my 1990 when it was done up for about a year with no chattering. I changed the fluid for the first time and now have the noise...figured it might have a LS so wanted to check it first before pulling shafts, etc.
With the transmission in park or in gear if manual shift.

langer1 said:
With the transmission in park or in gear if manual shift.
Nope. Neutral.

afd516 said:
How about the possibility of a limited slip that the clutches are worn out and were used to the old fluid?

When you put in the new fluid the worn clutches started making noise or the chattering from them trying to grip because of the new fluid but they can't because they are worn out?

I thought about this. After I adjusted the brakes the other side spun...the opposite direction...really good at first but now, with the brakes completely backed off the other side tries but just sits there.

LynchMob said:
Nope. Neutral.

I thought about this. After I adjusted the brakes the other side spun...the opposite direction...really good at first but now, with the brakes completely backed off the other side tries but just sits there.
Put it in gear, if you can't turn either wheel you have a locker if the other wheel turn the other direction, you don't.

Back