• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

340/318 Mopar Engine Conversion

mpro1

NAXJA Forum User
Does Any Know of this Being Done any write-ups info ect. I am Condidering on a 1990 Jeep Cherokee sport with ax15 and inline 6 thats getting tired 240,000miles also I have a killer 1968 340 Sitting around. any info????

Welllllll, we can't let this post die without any responses, so go here for info on the 340: http://www.alpar.com

I suspect you already know that nothing is going to fit up. I also suspect that won't disuade you one bit. IIRC the 340 is a Chrysco engine (duh), and is different than the 343/360 AMC. Plenty of those in CJs. That XJ engine bay is none too big.

What did you have in mind for a tranny/trans case?

That 340 was a real screamer. Are you going to paint the XJ yellow and add a super tall spoiler? Bzzzzz. Oops. The Super Bee is what i was thinking of. The Super Bird had the tall spoiler. Either way, killer engine.

Last edited:
Unless you love to rev it, IMO the 340 does not belong in an offroad vehicle. a Chryco 360 has a longer stroke than the 340/318/273 LA engines.

If I were to swap a v8, the a 340 block with 4.00" stroke crank give 408 ci with stock bore, 360 + .030 over is 406.

Personally, 4.6 ltr stroker is the only option in an XJ. Sell the 340 for big bux stroke the 4.0. Dr Dyno has the recipe.....

:peace: T

:geek:

kevin s said:
Welllllll, we can't let this post die without any responses, so go here for info on the 340: http://www.alpar.com

I suspect you already know that nothing is going to fit up. I also suspect that won't disuade you one bit. IIRC the 340 is a Chrysco engine (duh), and is different than the 343/360 AMC. Plenty of those in CJs. That XJ engine bay is none too big.

What did you have in mind for a tranny/trans case?

That 340 was a real screamer. Are you going to paint the XJ yellow and add a super tall spoiler? Bzzzzz. Oops. The Super Bee is what i was thinking of. The Super Bird had the tall spoiler. Either way, killer engine.

Basically i was just curious if it had been done.As a Mopar Lover Ive Built many Cudas Challangers.Ive Alaways loved Jeeps My First was an 80 CJ.
I curently have 2 XJ's One 1990 2door with Manual I6 & 2001 Xj. Both Nice But I like to See Unique Stuff.

I Agree that its not a pactical setup very unique though.

Thanks For Responding

Back