• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to mount a cargo box to the floor

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
Hye gus I just built a cargo box for my heep to put in the back and was wondering which way to mount the box to the floor ..I was thinking about welding the frame(steel) to the floor, or welding some plate to the floor and the welding some bolts to the plate and then bolting the box to the plates( if I do it htis way I could keep the carpet between the box and the floor reducing noise..any thoughts??

does this make sense??

watch out with welding there - the gas tank is there too....

Im thinking that i will put some plates and nuts underneath, and have a hole thru the floor that the box will bolt into, but my box is a long way out from completion...

XJ_ranger said:
watch out with welding there - the gas tank is there too....

Im thinking that i will put some plates and nuts underneath, and have a hole thru the floor that the box will bolt into, but my box is a long way out from completion...

Just be sure to get those holes sealed good, or you might get water intrusion (a particularly bad thing during winter in the "salt belt")

Rob

COL-DUCT.JPG

:dunce:

remember If you do any welding It wont be removable....I built a box for mine and drilled two 3/8 holes on each side of the box and used some grade 8 bolts and tightened the box down, watch out for gas tank and frame rail when drilling :laugh3: , But my box also would stay down even without the bolts because I made It fit very snug between the two wheel well humps, Its hard Just to pull It out with shit in It and being so tight in the wheel wells, I say dont weld because Iv had mine for a year and have already pulled the box numerous times Just to throw something big in the back (35" tire, box's and so on) If the box is big like mine, there aint much room to get shyt back there, then you cant get anything back from the rear doors cause their small as hell....JMHO

this is without paint, Its been herculined to match the tub/Interior

XJ99 said:
But my box also would stay down even without the bolts because I made It fit very snug between the two wheel well humps, Its hard Just to pull It out with shit in It and being so tight in the wheel wells,

you would be suprised what moves when your jeep is upside down...

I wouldnt know, I dont drive upside down very often...but how did I know someone would say something...
but anyway bolted down and fiting snug, It aint coming out....unless the wooden box breaks and screws fail....

XJ99 said:
I wouldnt know, I dont drive upside down very often...but how did I know someone would say something...
but anyway bolted down and fiting snug, It aint coming out....unless the wooden box breaks and screws fail....

It is not just your box that you or anyone else should be concerned about. Any object that is not securely held down in any vehicle (off road or on road) is a lethal weapon. There are many many many cases of people being killed by flying speakers, engine blocks (try moving one of them on your own), etc. During an accident anything can move and be dangerous.

Michael

so whys everyone flamin me, u sayin I shouldnt have the box or what? Whats the point your tryin to make about roll overs? He wanted to know how to mount a box, not whether or not It and other parts will move in a roll over, If your movin fast enough to roll over in the first place your screwed a anyway, and offroad unless you have a trail rig only (I'll speak on my behalf only) since mine is a daily driver as well, I dont push It to the point offroad to where I could roll over......If all that shyt (engine block, etc) is gonna move in a roll over then why should I care about a box. Best option is to not roll over in the first place...Onroad dont drive like an a$$hole, off-road I dont push my rig past where I'm comfortable with and I wont roll over...simple as that...

I think that everyone is just making sure that you do mount it in there and not just sit it between the wheel wells. But I would just use bolts through the floor, and then also some through the wheel wells

XJ99 said:
so whys everyone flamin me, u sayin I shouldnt have the box or what? Whats the point your tryin to make about roll overs? He wanted to know how to mount a box, not whether or not It and other parts will move in a roll over, If your movin fast enough to roll over in the first place your screwed a anyway, and offroad unless you have a trail rig only (I'll speak on my behalf only) since mine is a daily driver as well, I dont push It to the point offroad to where I could roll over......If all that shyt (engine block, etc) is gonna move in a roll over then why should I care about a box. Best option is to not roll over in the first place...Onroad dont drive like an a$$hole, off-road I dont push my rig past where I'm comfortable with and I wont roll over...simple as that...

No one plans on having an accident or to roll over. That is why they are called accidents. The point of my post (not trying to flame you) was that no matter what you have in the back, a box like yours, spare tire, camping gear, etc, etc. It should be tied down so that IF you did have an accident then you would not be hit by flying objects.

You do not have to be doing any more than 15 MPH during an accident to have a very large object come flying at you. I know of several instances where some one was in a very minor fender bender and would have had not problem living had the had a dog guard or other way of tieing down their stuff in the back. And I am not even a paramedic or police officer that responds to scenes.

It is for your and your passengers safety, it is worth doing.

Michael

A rear- end accident I just saw brings more importance to having items in your rig secured. After seeing the accident I made a mental note to make sure anything stored in the back as placed length-wise, not in-line with the Jeep.

I wouldn't want anything punched through my seatback.

This rear-end type accident is probably more likely than a roll over. I figure I can control my vehicle, it's the a$$holes around me that I worry about.

Back