• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How I made my cooling better in under 5 mins.

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Okay kids, this one's quick...I've been running warm a bit, was afraid of my AC (we've all been there:)) and all that. Before I would get just about to the red on my daily commute if I had my AC on right nwo (it's kinda warm in L.A. lately).

Anyway, last night I washed the XJ and had the bright idea to take the high pressure washer (coin-op car wash) and spray the radiator down nice and good.

Today I had the AC on the whole way into work, the highest I got was a hair under the white line between 210 and the red.

Woohoo!

Sequoia

absa-freakin-lootly

...up in the northeast we have bugs (in the early morning) so bad,
that if you didn't clean out you radiator at LEAST once a week
you'd be in big trouble. Sometimes my windshield looks like
someone hit it with buckets of brown and yellow paint. Not a
pretty sight. In NH we have dragon flies as big as chipmunks!

Anyway - good advice, regardless of where you live.

Do it from the backside out or better yet unbolt the rad and rock it back a bit, clean out the gunk thats between the ac condenser and the radiator. I understand how the wings and other bug parts get in there but the pieces of plastic, intact leaves and other big sized junk has me baffled.
I usually vac it out first, use a refrigerator fin attachment to get down in there, then I back wash it out with a hose. Which reminds me, think I'll do it tomorrow while I'm doing the tune up.

Here's how I made mine cool...

Bought the 3 core HD radiator

Bought a new pressure bottle cap

Mine never gets to 210 let alone past it no matter how bad the traffic or how hot it gets. The stock system is adequate when it works but a new radiator is worth every single penny!

Also Flow Kooler makes a better water pump and Redline makes "Waterwetter" which helps the water adhere to the block and cool faster.

today I made a 5 minute cooling modification :D

someone mentioned doing this in a post about hood vents...

I took some 3/4" square tubing, drilled 2 holes in 2 3inch pieces, and bolted them between the hood and the hood hinge thingies. It raises the back of the hood 3/4" letting out tons of hot air and I actually like the way it looks.

mad maXJ said:
today I made a 5 minute cooling modification :D

someone mentioned doing this in a post about hood vents...

I took some 3/4" square tubing, drilled 2 holes in 2 3inch pieces, and bolted them between the hood and the hood hinge thingies. It raises the back of the hood 3/4" letting out tons of hot air and I actually like the way it looks.

Got pics?

To cool mine down I'm doing a GDI 3 core, 180*T-stat, hood vents, and I'm gonna remove weatherstrip around the hood, if It still doesn't run cool enough I'm gonna do away with the fan clutch and have the fan run constant or do away with the mechanical fan altogether and run an electric fan

Regarding fan clutchs and electric fans...I have one each on the 88 they both run the entire time the jeep is on. I have never overheated so I didn't worry about it too much maybe that isn't normal?

No, that is not normal. The electric fan is supposed to come on only if the coolant temp reaches aprox 215 degrees OR the AC is turned on. There's a couple of possiblities for you to check.

1. your AC is alway on :)
2. The coolant temp sensor in your radiator is faulty
3. The realy that controls the electric fan is faulty
4. Your coolant temp is always high enough to make the fan run

What does the temp guage say when it's running? If the AC is off and the fan runs the minute you turn the key then you've got some kind of electronic problem. Checking the CTS is easy, and the relay has a schematic on it if you know who to read them so it can be tested easily too.

You may have taken them, but you never posted them. :/

heres an older pic of my rig with that done..

blackhills.jpg

a 7 year old thread?

My friend, i have about 15 of them going. :)

what I actually did was a set of Gen Right Vents and I gapped my hood about 1/8th". I also ripped out the hood blanket and weatehr seal. I never go above 210*

As long as its bumped...be careful pressure spraying the radiator or AC condenser (radiator piece in front of the real radiator). You can damage the fins and make the problem much worse.

Back