• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I remove the Tcase???

88XJ_FireFighter

NAXJA Forum User
Like the title says. I'm so happy that my problem is the Tcase and not the tranny. Any help and/or pics would be great. Thanks.

Its and 88 auto with the 242.

88XJ_FireFighter said:
Like the title says. I'm so happy that my problem is the Tcase and not the tranny. Any help and/or pics would be great. Thanks.

Its and 88 auto with the 242.

Support the tranny, remove the crossmember, remove the bolts around the tcase that bolt it up to the tranny (5 or 6?). Slide the tcase of the output shaft of the tranny (you can actually bench it and slide out with it as it's not that heavy).

Kejtar said:
Support the tranny, remove the crossmember, remove the bolts around the tcase that bolt it up to the tranny (5 or 6?). Slide the tcase of the output shaft of the tranny (you can actually bench it and slide out with it as it's not that heavy).

Isn't there some linkage too? HAHAHA :)

JohnX said:
Isn't there some linkage too? HAHAHA :)
Oh yeah... linkage pops off with a big screwdriver out of a bushing. ALso you have a tcase vent which is probably bundled with other wires so you want to remove that from the tcase and a speedo sensor.

Kejtar, "(you can actually bench it and slide out with it as it's not that heavy)". How much would you say it weighs? I'm going to take out a 242 also. I'd hate to think it that it was going to weigh 200 when it might actually be a hefty 300.

uvaldetxj said:
Kejtar, "(you can actually bench it and slide out with it as it's not that heavy)". How much would you say it weighs? I'm going to take out a 242 also. I'd hate to think it that it was going to weigh 200 when it might actually be a hefty 300.
I don't know how much it weights but if you search, I think the weights were discussed at one point or another. In any case I had no problem benching it and I'm on the skinnier/ligher side.

It's about 75-80 pounds. Make sure you drain it, or plug the end of it before you pull it off or you'll get a nice ATF bath if you tilt it the wrong way. A spare slipyoke is handy to use, if you have one.
Jeff

Back