• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AA SYE Install?

There's a write up on www.jeepin.com on the JB Conversions install but it should be identical.

It actually very easy once you get into it. I would suggest getting LOCKring pliers. I got a pair at Sears for $15 in the auto tool section. I have a friend who has installed a couple AA SYE and he said it took him like 1.5 hours of messing with the snap rings on each one and I spent a total of 5 minutes on them with the pliers.

Those instructions are GREAT....except they don't really mention the spring that goes on the shifter rail. Make sure that makes it back in.....I've forgotten twice now....and it's not so fun to go back in two days after you were just in there.:rolleyes:

Also, the magnetic washer that goes in the bottom of the case....that will most likely fall out when you split the halves. Make sure that gets back in there too.

And lastly, don't forget the position of the oil pump when you take it apart....it has to go on the OUTSIDE of the case. You'll understand when you get in there. I put it on the inside of the case and then I had to buy a new one when that one got all chewed up. Doh. :rolleyes:

Other than that it should all be pretty straight forward. Good luck.:D

I did mine on the XJ.. wasn't too tough...

I'd recommend going to the dealer and getting a new o-ring for the oil pump pickup tube... having a new, stiff o-ring will help hold everything together...

It really helps if you have another set of hands helping get the case back together... you can do it yourself, but getting everythign lined up, making sure the oil pickup tube is seated in the oil pump and getting the splines lined up was a bear...

It is TOUGH getting the oil pump on the heavy duty splines... it looks like the splines are too big... but they ain't...

Take your time.. you'll be fine.

Oh yeah... one little thing that will help...

The instructions tell you about the weird 12 pt 10mm bolt on the top... well, there's a nut on the front side of the case holding on a bracket... take that nut off first... trying to back out the bolt without knowing about the nut on there about broke my forearm...

Back