• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some help, overheat, oil loss (long)

el_chupo_

NAXJA Forum User
Here is a link to the ad
http://www.naxja.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=784&sort=1&cat=2&page=19

I made it home yesterday with an 88xj, just picked it up from erikrs301. I live in TX, he lives in PA, so it came quite a ways. At this time I would like to thank Erik, I appreciate you being honest and strait forward with you description, I was happy to find no suprises when i got up there to get the jeep.

I picked it friday evening and started driving. I made it about 50 miles in about 2 hours, thanks to the wonderful PA traffic. In all that it never overheated, oil pressure was great. Then I make it down past Harrisburg, and sit for another hour and move about 4 miles. I made it down to MD, and stopped for the night, about 200 miles from where I got the jeep, never a problem. It was running cool (modine 2 row and 160* tstat, still a closed cooling system) so I put some cardboard over the 2 middle openings in the grill to help it warm up when driving. All fluids were ok, I did top off the radiator fluid with about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart, and I was on my way. On Sat. i ran into about a hour and a half delay 100 miles from the Tenn. border. I pull over, take out the cardboard, and sit for an hour and a half, never getting to the 210 mark. Oil pressure is still fine. I stop in Nashiville for the night, still everything is great. I get up and check, add about 12 oz of oil, and get on my way. By the time i make it to memphis, I was starting to run warm, though never up to 210*. When it started getting to the line, I put on the vent, and it hovered right at what would be 190-200, by my best guess. I stopped in Memphis, and ended up adding a the rest of the quart of oil, about 20 oz. I kept going, it kept needing to have the vent on to stay at about 200*. I made it to littlerock, adding another 1/2 quart of oil along the way, and still running with the vent. In littlerock, I stopped at a car wash, and sprayed the radiator . I got a lot of brown woter from it, along with the other stuff(tranny cooler etc) i think, that fixed it, and keep going, after adding a quart of oil. To finish this quickly, I drove the rest of the way home, adding about 3 more quarts of oil, and the whole rest of the way the vents were on. when I got home, as soon as i stopped for a light, it was starting to climb over 210, when i started going again, back to 190*.

*RECAP*
No problems first 800 miles, actually ran cool. Last 700 miles, added 4-5 quarts of oil, needed to run the vent constantly (with heat all the way up) to keep it from overheating. I looked under the jeep, I think the oil was coming from the rear main seal, though I DO NOT know this for a fact. there was no radiator or cooling leak that i could identify. the level stayed the same the whole way home. for what its worth, when I stopped to check the oil, I let it sit for at least 10-15 minutes while filling up, using bathroom, browsing truck stop merch, etc. I did not just check it and add, as this would not let the oil drain back into the oilpan, giving me a false reading of the levels.

Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts, anything please respond. Thanks

Matt

If it isn't blowing tons of smoke, you must have a fairly major leak. Normally leaks of this magnitude also blow oil on the exhaust and cause terrible non-tailpipe smoke.

Check the radiator and make sure the fluid is not contaminated with oil. Find out where the oil is going. Is the inside of the tailpipe black? Is the outside of the tailpipe, expecially where it crosses over from the driver's side to the passenger's side coated with burned oil?

It isnt burning oil. No smoke out of the tail pipe. The coolant seems to be fine, can I check it other than at the pressure bottle? I burped the system last night, but didnt have time to drive it much. I did let it idle for 15 minutes, it didnt get over about 175 (estimate based on guage, not accurate)

It does have some oil on the tail pipe. That seems to be where it is going, since when I would stop that is where I would have a small puddle when I put in gas. By small puddle, I mean about 4-5" in diameter in 15 minutes. I got home sunday, and on monday night the oil level was still fine, I had filled it about 100 miles before. Slight leak, but not much while it is sitting there.

Thank, old man, any help is greatly appreciated

Matt

There are three major areas that can leak that much oil. Rear main, the rear of the valve cover, and the oil pressure sender/oil filter area. Get some Castrol SuperClean and squirt the engine down and then rinse off the oil, being careful not to get the TPS wet. Then watch carefully where the leak is comming from. Most leaks are not a big deal to fix. A rear main is a bit of work, but not bad. It's time consuming but not real costly. There are tons of writeups on rear mains on this site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully it's just a valve cover leak......easiest to fix IMO. Also, replace that 160º thermastat with the proper rated stat, usually a 195º OEM one for best results. The 4.0L engine was not designed to run with a 160º stat.

I have a 195* to go in, I figgured I would put it in when i convert to an open system, probably later this year. I dont think it is only the vavle cover, but I will pull it this weekend if I have time. I have to take care of someone that is having surgury friday, so I will probably be busy, I just have to hope they sleep alot...

Thanks

Matt

el_chupo_ said:
I have a 195* to go in, I figgured I would put it in when i convert to an open system, probably later this year. I dont think it is only the vavle cover, but I will pull it this weekend if I have time. I have to take care of someone that is having surgury friday, so I will probably be busy, I just have to hope they sleep alot...

Thanks

Matt
Couple of quick things. The temperatures you are seeing are well within the normal range, the Aux fan don’t even turn on until 218 F.

Next is the oil problem. If you had a rear main seal leaking that bad it would effect oil pressure.

You said oil pressure was fine the hole trip so I would bet on a valve cover gasket.

I did some reading on here, as well as discussing it with my father, and we decided alot of the same things you did, langer. I figgured that since it never actually overheated, I was just being extremely cautious with a unfamilar jeep, it is probable that i got some air in the cooling system whey I added coolant to it, and that was the cooling issue. The oil, we decided alot of the same as well. I assumed it was a rear main, but after discussing and reading, it seems apparent that I would have oil pressure problems, as well as a constant leak with it just sitting. IT isnt leaking noticable where it is now, and it has been parked for about 2 days now. This led me to think that it is the valve cover, due to pressure from the CCV system being clogged, or possibly the oil pressure sending unit. I will be looking into these this weekend. Thanks for the help guys, and if you think of somehting else, let me know

Matt

Back