• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drum brake hardware kits (extra parts)

wilcharl

NAXJA Forum User
guys

anyone that has done 10x 1 3/4 and maybe other xj rear brakes has probley found extra parts in the hardware kit...

My question is am i using the right parts... there are two sets of rods in the kit... i have ALWAYS used the long one finding the shorter rod (for the hold down spring) to be super snug.... is this the right one or not??? also there are always two extra clips that go over the hold down springs and i have yet to figure out why those are enclosed (i figure the extra pins are because of differnt apps for the kit) but why the extra hold down clips? should i be using one on each side of the spring ie:

clip--->| \/\/\ | <--clip |backing plate ???

any ideas folks?

wilcharl said:
guys

clip--->| \/\/\ | <--clip |backing plate ???

any ideas folks?

YES

Kits like this sometimes contain extra parts so they can be used in several different applications. It's cheaper for a distributor to stock one kit that can be used in a lot of different applications than it is to have to stock 5 or 6 kits that are unique to specific vehicles. The parts company still charges you for all the pieces, even though you won't use some of them, and they can streamilne their inventory and save overhead. It's a pretty common practice. You end up paying for parts you don't need, but it's actually cheaper than if they had to keep a lot of different inventory on hand. Just another example of our disposable society.

As long as the rod you are using holds the shoes in place you should be fine. I'd stay away from the shorter ones if you feel any binding.

Back