• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vac selinoid question

noresttill

NAXJA Forum User
I searched. just wanted to get that out in the open :)

I have a 96 4.0 XJ.

There is a selinoid on the pass. firewall. It has one vac line to the canister, and another that goes clear accross the engine bay and plugs into the engine on the drivers side.

my jeep was fussy for a while and sometimes wouldn't start and sometimes would. When it wouldn't start I would press the throttle and it would run, and when i let off it would die.

So unplugged the engine plug and it starts fine, idles bad, but starts consistently. I have replaced that selonoid, my battery, and starter (unrelated) and i still have to keep that thinig unplugged. I doubt tht there is a clog in the tube running between the sel. and the plug.

Any Thought?? CPS??

May be a sticky Idle Air Controller. When you unplug the vacumm line, it could be just enough air to keep it going, without opening the throttle some. My IAC stuck awhile back, I sprayed some penetrating oil (actually kind of let it dribble) into the IAC air opening with the motor running. I had to repeat once, it´s been starting and running fine since.

Re: Vac solenoid question

On the vehicle front side of the TB right next to the Throttle position sensor. If you take of the top air box (being careful of the plastic anchor nubs on the bottom), you can look in the TB opening and see the bypass around the throttle plate. The plunger from the IAC seats in there and controls idle air and somewhat the air mix during normal driving also. I just worked the throttle by hand to keep the motor going and dribbled (sprayed) some Break Free in the IAC throttle plate bypass opening. I managed to unjam the IAC piston without removing anything else, in the wifes 96.
If you start spraying anything around the TB, be careful of the TPS, oil, water whatever can damage them (I screwed one up on my Renix).

Back