• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hot manual trans?

87CherokeeChief

NAXJA Forum User
87 4.0 BA/10. when drivin around i can feel some major heat coming through the trans tunnel. does this seem to be normal? i do run 31s on stock gears which sucks, could that be why? i know autos heat up alot and have exterior coolers but i thought manuals didnt. any thoughts?

Brett

87CherokeeChief said:
87 4.0 BA/10. when drivin around i can feel some major heat coming through the trans tunnel. does this seem to be normal? i do run 31s on stock gears which sucks, could that be why? i know autos heat up alot and have exterior coolers but i thought manuals didnt. any thoughts?

Brett
What's the point of 31's on stock gears if they suck. Is your carpet missing? The engine heat also comes through the Trans tunnel.

87CherokeeChief said:

Brett

Mine's hotter than hell too. Probably normal. :rattle:

I used to worry when i first noticed but after a year or so, i figure its normal and with everyone saying it is, it must be...

Drove from MA to FL and back. Heat was so bad I had to fold up a sweatshirt and put it between my leg and the tunnel. Knew the outer boot was bad so I replaced that and it was still hot, didn't know there was an inner boot till I did though. Got the inner boot from a NH dealer that had an NOS one. Can't even feel much heat now. Made a huge difference. Hot air was coming up past the inner boot and was being forced out under the console heating up everything on the sides of the tunnel. Was also coming out of the e-brake area and almost melted my phone one day. If you can find an inner boot somewhere, you might find it makes a difference. The part number for the inner boot is 5300 2864, that's for the inner boot with a 6 cyl.

Back