• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! with upgrading TPS from 89 motor to 93 motor

jfiscus

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the middle of swapping out my worn out motor on my 89 to a 93 HO motor. I have read a lot of useful stuff on this forum and the article:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/99/09_sept/engswap/engswap.html
was extremely helpful in getting my project accomplished, however, I am stuck on adapting one sensor.

I cannot figure out how to adapt the TPS connector from the 93 intake to the 89 sensor connector. How has everyone else handled this part? The article mentioned above skips over this part as a 'trivial item' that they are sure you could figure out on your own.

I believe I have everything else figured out and am wanting to get my Jeep back on the trails, but have come to a standstill here with this sensor.

Can anyone help me?!?!

Unless I´m mistaken the HO TPS won´t work with the Renix computer, you have to transplant the Renix TPS to the HO TB. A year or so ago, somebody in the modified section described the procedure, believe it was in reference to installing the HO TB on a Renix motor.
It´s my understanding the HO TPS works just the opposite of the Renix TPS or in other words the HO TPS will give the Renix MCU, bassackwords information.
Here is a write up for adapting the HO TB to the Renix connections.
http://www.rockmodified.com/2003/april/TB/tb_perf.htm

Last edited:
I got your PM and took a few pics of my adaptor. I've put the pics up here along with a short description of what I did.

Hope that helps.

I hope you've done your research before doing the engine swap.
The distributor needs to be changed, the flexplate needs to be changed!
Basically all your electronics on the engine have to be changed to the Renix system.
It's far easier to just change the Intake and Exhaust manifolds onto the 93 than to try and adapt the Renix TPS to the newer TB.
I hope you don't already have the engine installed and overlooked the flexplate.

I hope you've done your research before doing the engine swap.
The distributor needs to be changed, the flexplate needs to be changed!
Basically all your electronics on the engine have to be changed to the Renix system.
It's far easier to just change the Intake and Exhaust manifolds onto the 93 than to try and adapt the Renix TPS to the newer TB.
I hope you don't already have the engine installed and overlooked the flexplate.

flexplate needs to change? Search dug this old thread up...I'll be dropping a 95HO engine/AW4/231 in my 90 XJ this w/e, the plan was to use the Renix CPS and electronics. I guess the Renix CPS won't read an HO flexplate?

flexplate needs to change? Search dug this old thread up...I'll be dropping a 95HO engine/AW4/231 in my 90 XJ this w/e, the plan was to use the Renix CPS and electronics. I guess the Renix CPS won't read an HO flexplate?

Correct.

Strip your donor motor down to longblock. Use your dizzy, valve cover, flexplate/flywheel, and manifolds. Be sure to use the intake/exhaust gasket for the early motor.

Be sure to remove a coolant galley plug on the driver's side of the donor motor for your CTS to thread into BEFORE you get the engine in. It's a 5/16" square drive.

thx cruiser, will pull the CTS plug and grab my renix flexplate from the discard pile

Plan is to use the complete HO intake/fuel rail/TB with Renix TPS adapted to the HO TB.
HO header plus HO gasket
HO fuel lines back to the 1990 fuel tank/pump
Renix distributor
HO block already has the threaded hole for knock sensor

valve cover...I don't know the differences in head-vavle cover interface is between Renix/HO head, I see the CCV holes on top are different. Why shouldnt I use the HO cover? I don't need to pass any emmissions, pretty sure we can make the CCV system work. Not trying to argue, input is greatly appreciated.

Renix valve cover makes it easier for the CCV hoses.

Have you considered using the Renix intake manifold?

You do know the HO header has no provision for EGR or O2 sensor and you will have to have an O2 sensor bung welded into the headpipe?

considered the Renix head, may even try that if the HO is too much of a hassle. This is a budget race motor (I know contradiction in terms) so the port mismatching between Renix intake and HO head doesnt sit too well. For the exhaust, we dont need EGR, and we are using the HO downpipe, already got am O2 bung, will splice in a section of wire to make the sensor reach.

Match port the Renix manifolds to the HO head then. Thanks for the clarification on the intended usage of the motor. A 60mm throttle body from www.strokedjeep.com on the Renix manifold works great and is larger than the HO TB. Cheap and easy too. I've done 2 of them.

Back