• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harmonic Balancer Install Nightmare......

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok for the last couple nights I have been trying to get this thing installed. I have tried three times so far and the last time it it stopped about a 1/4" from being on. The first couple of times the "key" shifted I think. Any thoughts on the best way to get this damn thing on there? The "key" has a bend or score in it makeing it catch I think. Would it be ok to grind it smoth as long as it still holds the balancer in place?? Just in case it's needed. Its an 84 2.5L!

yep grind away just as long as it's not ground down to the point of weakness. I have done it a couple times.

Do these things get tighter as they go on? B/c it seems the thing went on smooth at first but the further I got it on the shaft the harder it was!

Couple of tricks:
1. Lube the crank snout and the inside of the balancer with STP or other light sticky lube.
2. Chill the crank snout to *slightly* reduce it's size. Pack a baggie of ice around it, and keep doing so for a couple hours prior to install time.
3. Heat the HB to *slightly* expand it; no harm if it doesn't get hotter than a normal engine (225* +/-). Place it in direct sunlight for a couple hours until it's as hot has you can handle. Do NOT place in an oven.

Assemble everything as quickly as possible, so the two pieces don't have much time to equalize the heat.

Make sure you have the right key. If the curve of the key and the curve of the slot aren't identical, the key can 'rock' in the slot and self-bind as the balancer is installed

Lubed the crank with grease and to "hold" the key in place. Did not think about leaveing it in the sun for expansion. Or packing the snout in ice. However it has been quite rainey here lately and little sun around. I'll have to give that some thought.

Back