• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What EXACTLY is upcountry, & How do I tell?

Dragline

NAXJA Forum User
Tried a search. Got lots of hits for upcountry, but none really answered my question.

Exactly what was included on the upcountry models? I ask because I was at the JunkYard today and there was an '89 (I think) with what I think were factory skids on the front and transfer case. Also on the gas tank but unfortunately they support the vehicles by sitting them on three steel rims, 2 on the sides and one under the gas tank which completely crushes the gas tank (and skid). No tow hooks and I'm not sure about a tranny cooler. The front coils had a tag on them that said :

TK
001 119

If this IS upcountry suspension, if I pull the front coils, and replace mine will I get any lift at all? I only need about an inch to level it out with the extra "stock helper leaf" I added in the rear. I wrote down the VIN # if anyone has away to check by that let me know. Also are the rear leafs any different on upcountry? By the way I picked up the front and xfer case skids. Both for $20.00

An upcountry kit had 1" lift, factory skids, front a rear tow hooks, and a FS spare. Unfortunately. I do not know what code it was.

The rubber isolators that sit on top of your front springs are 1/2" thick and are $12 each from the dealer.
1" spacers are also available from teraflex and other companies.

Good deal on the skids - Good find!

There was no Up Country option back in 1989. There was an "off highway" group, which included many of the same items (skid plates, tow hooks, limited slip rear diff), but I don't think it included the 1" lift springs.

A build sheet would tell you if it had the off highway package, but Chysler doesn't have vehicles as old as 1989 in the system any longer. (So I've been told.)

UpCountry is 1" lift coils and leafs, rear swaybar delete, all 3 skids, tow hooks front and rear, HD cooling, tranny cooler, tracloc limited slip, full size spare.
I think that skids were an option all by themselves. Xj coils have a 2 letter code and a part number. Regular Xj coils are first letter F code. UpCountry coils for XJ and ZJ Grands are G code. My UpCountry coils are letter code GK and p/n 5200 1793

Last edited:
To repeat ... in 1989 there was NO Up Country option. There was an "off highway" option, which included some but not all of the same things. I have an 87 MJ and an 88 MJ with the off highway package. Neither one rides higher than stock. One has a Trac-Lok rear diff, the other did not.

Dragline -- remove the interior trim panel from your driver's door. The factory often put the working copy of the build sheet in there on the assembly line. On an MJ I found a different version stuck in the driver's seat, but the MJ bench has zigger springs rather than a pan, so I don't know if you might find one for an XJ in the seat.

Back