• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bike trails in OC or nearby

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I figured that I need to do something to offset my 8 hours behind the desk and about 4 hours in the car every day and getting out and riding a bike sounds like a good idea. Anyways, considering I'm fairly out of shape and while I don't mind hills (or at least I didn't a decade ago :D) I don't wanna kill myself to the point that after one ride I will choose to park the bike again and no ride. So I am looking for recommendation of fairly nearby places to which I can haul my bike and then ride (oh yeah... shaded trails would be a plus :D)

Mile Square park in Fountain Valley? That is if you wanna bike that far. :laugh3:

-Mike

Dirt or road?

2 options kinda close to Westminster
For road bike, you got the Santa Ana River Trail that runs from HB to Anaheim Hills.

Mountain bike, try Peters Canyon in Orange/Tustin. It has a flat trail in the valley if you don't wanna climb. There's free parking on Peters Canyon Road in Tustin - take Tustin Ranch Road north off the 5, go left on Peters Canyon Road and park where the pavement ends.
Lemme know...I might be able to go with you if you want the company of a wheezebag who hasn't ridden in about a year.

I'm looking for dirt probably and while not big hills, I want something more challenging than flat mile square park :D. Tustin sound like a good idea, IIRC there are some hills there, right?

Dirt: Aliso Woods, main canyon up to the base of Cholla trail and beyond, if you are feeling good. Up Cholla and to the left on the fire road, at the big rock on the left is the entrance to Lynx trail. Go down it and back to the car. Fun little loop.

Peter's Canyon in Orange: Chapman and Jamboree. Plenty of trails with limited climbing for the rook.

Fullerton Loop: Park at the court house and hook up with a group... ride, ride and ride for an easy 12 miles. Go with someone who knows, it can be confusing as it weaves in and out of neighborhoods.

Santiago Oaks: Come out and ride with me on some of the more gnarly trails in the park that we've built over years. I'll be easy on you, I swear.... ;)

Santiago Truck Trail to the Luge: Go and park at Cook's Corner. Ride up Santiago Canyon Rd and take a right on Modjeska Grade Rd. Go right at the forest service gate and follow that to the American flag posted on a small hill on your right. This is the entrance to the Luge. Drop your seat and have fun. At the end of the trail, go right, over the creek and out to the pavement. Left on the pavement and climb through the hole in the fence. Down the road and back to your car.

Or: go buy Mountain Biking Orange County, by Randy Vogel and discover them for yourself!

gcurtis said:
Santiago Oaks: Come out and ride with me on some of the more gnarly trails in the park that we've built over years. I'll be easy on you, I swear.... ;)
Somehow I am thinking that I would need to up my life insurance if I went out biking with you :D

Kejtar said:
Somehow I am thinking that I would need to up my life insurance if I went out biking with you :D

Only if you name me as the beneficiary, otherwise you are safe. :)

Seriously, if you want to go hit dirt I'll gladly take you on something mellow. I think Cal wanted to give it a spin as well (I'll pick up a demo for him to try it out on). Since I'm recovering from a broken foot, an easy ride might be a nice way to get back in the saddle.

gcurtis said:
Only if you name me as the beneficiary, otherwise you are safe. :)

Seriously, if you want to go hit dirt I'll gladly take you on something mellow. I think Cal wanted to give it a spin as well (I'll pick up a demo for him to try it out on). Since I'm recovering from a broken foot, an easy ride might be a nice way to get back in the saddle.
You've got a broken foot? I leave on vacation for 2 weeks and the whole place fall appart :D

ANyways, I'm definately up for something mellow sometime soon. I just need to figure out a way to transport my bike :D (might have to weld something up this weekend).

Kejtar said:
Cal's got a broken foot? I leave on vacation for 2 weeks and the whole place fall appart :D

ANyways, I'm definately up for something mellow sometime soon. I just need to figure out a way to transport my bike :D (might have to weld something up this weekend).

I've got the broken foot...

I have an idea, take some of the crap out of your jeep and you'll have PLENTY of room! ;)

jonboy said:
Mountain bike, try Peters Canyon in Orange/Tustin.

Peter's Canyon? That place totally sucks donkey balls!

Remi, I'll take you to the Joplin Trail. I will get you back for all that P.M.S.!

cracker said:
Peter's Canyon? That place totally sucks donkey balls!

Remi, I'll take you to the Joplin Trail. I will get you back for all that P.M.S.!

Hahahaha... I'm with ya on this one! What about Vahalla or Marie Calendars? We could break him in good. :)

Remi on Joplin... call the rescue crew from the parking lot and give them GPS coords for Old Camp!

F-it. We'll bring him an extra bike out to Moab. I am thinking Poison Spider Portal. $hit, even Porcupine would do it.

I'll spot him through!

cracker said:
F-it. We'll bring him an extra bike out to Moab. I am thinking Poison Spider Portal. $hit, even Porcupine would do it.

I'll spot him through!
So you talked your boss into letting you go to Moab after all?

Yep. I have approval from work and now I have to smooth over the wife. I will be bringing my bike out there. Johnny said he was bringing out his too. Assuming all goes well, I will be towing out the XJ and will hook up with you (and whomever) on Saturday in Vegas.

Why not just take him out and let him survive the 11 miles that the san juan trail has to offer at Ortega.... Id even go for that one... since its been a year that I actually rode my mountain bike....

Remi,

They keep slowly closing the areas but try searching for Whiting Woods Wilderness Park. The beginning is shaded (one way) and then you have to climb (or walk like the old folks) before going down. If you can't roost the cougars, be careful when you pet them on the way out (they are known to bite as bad as the cactus).

Whiting can also be linked with Modjeska Truck Trail and the luge or Santiago Peak / Fish Camp (and Trabuco or Holy Jim). You need legs of steel (or a death wish) to make this an evening ride.

They may have closed it to bikes but El Moro (Moro for short) opposite Crystal Cove SB was always a good morning/evening ride.

Aliso Viejo is good, but you can cheat (skip the uphill round about from the church lot) if a friend can drop you off at top of the world (above Laguna Beach). Cactus, Rocket, Cholla and a few other trails (closer to homes and steeper, if they have not policed it to death) keep the area interesting.

Carbon Canyon has some trails, and the Chino Hills area. Plan on it being volcano hot.

You might also want to go north:

Above Altadena and Glendale offers good trails. The Arroyo Seco, Mt. Wilson truck trail, Mt. Lowe railway right of way, and other good trails (and you can also cheat, downhill only, if a friend drops you off at Mt. Wilson). Poison Oak can get thick in the shaded wet areas (a warning).

Glendale/Montrose has some hardcore rides & riders in the foothills and Edison Peak areas. It's OK if they laugh at you, they do it to everybody.

Stop by the house and I'll hunt down a trail book or two you can borrow. If the rides look too steep there is always the boardwalk near Sequoia's end of town or in Long Beach (a different view).

Screw the dirt!!!

Head to the beach. You can't beat the scenery.

Back