• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kern River?

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone been up to the kern river these last couple weeks or month?
The reason im asking is i would like to know how much water is flowing?
Does anyone have any sites to gather this info?

Thanks

I was up ther on the 15-19th of July...Water was flowing at 2400+ the first day...by the time we left on the last day it was down to 1400.

So right about now...I would say the rafting sucks.

JohnX said:
I was up ther on the 15-19th of July...Water was flowing at 2400+ the first day...by the time we left on the last day it was down to 1400.

So right about now...I would say the rafting sucks.

But do you think the fishing might be good?

JohnX said:
I wouldn't know...don't fish.

The water is slower and lower...is that good?

It just depends on how low the water is. If there are some deeper spots say like 4 or 5 feet it ant to bad.

A bit from the Kern Valley Sun today:

Kayak nationals this weekend

Staff Report/Kern Valley Sun

The Kern Valley River Council (KVRC) will host the 2005 Pan American Whitewater Slalom Championships, the U.S. Slalom Nationals, and America's Slalom Open (a triple-slam) this weekend, Friday through Monday, at the permanent slalom course at Miracle Hot Springs on the Lower Kern River. This event marks the first time that these slalom races have been combined to a single location over a three-day period. The top American athletes will compete at 9 a.m, Sunday, Aug. 28, at the U.S. Slalom Nationals, where 2004 Olympic silver-medalist Rebecca Giddens will be on hand for photos and interviews

Now this is in the river below the lake, so there's water, but I'll check with some of my local friends there and see what's happening up-river. Just where's about's you are thinkin to fish, Northfork?, Southfork? I'd head up to Monache Meadow and make a Jeep trip and a fishin trip out of it, and maybe a little Sherman 4x4 trail too!

RobertF said:
A bit from the Kern Valley Sun today:

Kayak nationals this weekend

Staff Report/Kern Valley Sun

The Kern Valley River Council (KVRC) will host the 2005 Pan American Whitewater Slalom Championships, the U.S. Slalom Nationals, and America's Slalom Open (a triple-slam) this weekend, Friday through Monday, at the permanent slalom course at Miracle Hot Springs on the Lower Kern River. This event marks the first time that these slalom races have been combined to a single location over a three-day period. The top American athletes will compete at 9 a.m, Sunday, Aug. 28, at the U.S. Slalom Nationals, where 2004 Olympic silver-medalist Rebecca Giddens will be on hand for photos and interviews

Now this is in the river below the lake, so there's water, but I'll check with some of my local friends there and see what's happening up-river. Just where's about's you are thinkin to fish, Northfork?, Southfork? I'd head up to Monache Meadow and make a Jeep trip and a fishin trip out of it, and maybe a little Sherman 4x4 trail too!

I was thinking about Monache Meadows. Just currious is that on the south fork?

Isn't Sherman pass 4x4 trail pretty intense? I wouldn't wheel it the week i go but ill sure have to drive over there and check it out.

Monache Meadows has the South Fork meandering through it and an easy 4x4 trail into it that keeps the mall suv's out, but no sweat for even a stock XJ.
The North Fork has good fishing year round, but I have a friend that caught his first golden at Monache and now holds it as hallowed ground.

Back