• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 swap question

keith haw

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 242 in my 87 so no disco front axle. Been thinking about swaping in a YJ 4 banger d30. That would give me 4:10's and disco....Any downsides to this? Did any of the XJ's come with a disco and 4:10 gears, 4 banger maybe?

Thanks
Keith

Yep Up through the early 90s 4cyl (not sure when the XJ went all non-disco) should have 4.10

The only snag is that the 242 Jeeps have no provision to activate the disco motor when 4x4 is selected, but one could be rigged up easy enough or do a posi-lock.

Thanks Woody.. Figured I'd do a manual disco setup for a poor (read that cheap) man's ARB.. Good to know that XJ's had them that will save alot of bracket welding.. I've been told all disco axles were low pinion, is that true?

Keith

No not true at all...my 89 MJ has a HP 30 (that used to be ) disco, same goes for all the rest of em in 231 or 207 XJs before 92(yearguess?)

I dont think it was until 99 or so to where the XJ LP30s started showing up.

The V6 XJ's with the factory tow package came with 4.10's as well.
Mike B.

Back