• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Trip Photos

MJR

NAXJA Forum User
Sunday I just got back from spending 3 days on the Con. It's a cool now as it was when I last ran it (2001) :) , except for the sadness of not being able to camp at Spider Lake :( We ran into a Jeep Jamboree USA group on Fri/Sat. We kinda mingled (cool having Hagen Daas ice cream at Rubicon Springs). They put on quite an event for the money. Here's a link to the album and a few photos to enjoy.

http://gotgroceries.net/RubiconTrail805/index.html

photo6.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo52.jpg

photo60.jpg

photo68.jpg

photo77.jpg

photo87.jpg

photo97.jpg

photo113.jpg

photo121.jpg

photo161.jpg

photo171.jpg

photo194.jpg

photo223.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, You need to change your career...You should be a photographer for dang sure man. I have seen tons of your jeep pictures and they are always outstanding...but some of the other stuff other than Jeeps...You could sell your work for sure. Drop the day job Mike and do this for a living man. You have a great eye for it. later...Clint

MJR said:
I thought it was closed due to the ground flowers?
that was the case last summer, now the private land is closed completely, but the rest is open, just not for vehicles.

http://www.delalbright.com/Rubicon/spider_05.htm

Citing the need to protect natural resources (in other words resource damage), the USDA Forest Service Eldorado National Forest has closed Spider Lake (again). Last year it was closed for human waste and possible fecal coliform getting into the lake. This year (2005) it is closed for motor vehicle damage to vegetation and resources around the lake. Further, the Forest wants to ensure no motor fuel/lubricants get into the lake from people camping too close to the lake with their vehicle. You can still walk/camp near the lake. You just can't have your vehicle within the closure.

spider_2005_closure.jpg

Hey Mike, was they rock that got your mirror just before the camp at buck ?
If so It took out Goatmans and mine last year. The drop of the rock puts you right into it.

As always great pics. It's nice when people take the time to put in captions.

BrettM said:
that was the case last summer, now the private land is closed completely, but the rest is open, just not for vehicles.

http://www.delalbright.com/Rubicon/spider_05.htm

Citing the need to protect natural resources (in other words resource damage), the USDA Forest Service Eldorado National Forest has closed Spider Lake (again). Last year it was closed for human waste and possible fecal coliform getting into the lake. This year (2005) it is closed for motor vehicle damage to vegetation and resources around the lake. Further, the Forest wants to ensure no motor fuel/lubricants get into the lake from people camping too close to the lake with their vehicle. You can still walk/camp near the lake. You just can't have your vehicle within the closure.

What a total crock of sheet! At least I got to camp there with my vehicle in 2001. Reminds me of friggin Surprise Canyon. Closed right after I went.

David Taylor said:
Hey Mike, was they rock that got your mirror just before the camp at buck ?
If so It took out Goatmans and mine last year. The drop of the rock puts you right into it.

As always great pics. It's nice when people take the time to put in captions.

I got a photo. Just before Buck Island on the Old Sluice.

Here's the spot, damn rock!

photo133.jpg

Great photos Mike and I remember the Rubicon in 2001 because I was there as well. Looks like maybe next year I will have to make it to the con again.

Back