• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinging sound when driving

evldave

NAXJA Forum User
ok, normally I hate asking questions (at least until I've broken something worse than when I started working on it), but I'm stuck. When I'm either accelerating or when I first let off the gas, I get a wierd pinging sound from the drivetrain, somewhere from the TC back to the rear dif. The pinging speeds up if accelarating, slows down when I'm off the gas.

It sounds like I'm hitting the driveline softly with a hardened steel hammer (like a rock hammer). I've replaced the u-joint (twice, now with a spicer), CV joint, and it's a fairly new driveline (about 15k, not a SYE). I've got a 4" lift & had the driveline extended when I bought the new one, so it's not just barely hanging on the TC output shaft. The axels have a little in-and-out play, but no sideways play, no heavy leaks anywhere (TC, axels, etc). There's about 180k miles on the drivetrain.

The wierd thing about this (and the stupid part of this) is that there is absolutely no play in the driveline once I've stopped. I could swear there needs to be some rotational slop - there is on every other RWD car I've ever owned.

So any ideas? Seems like the driveline is an indicator of something. I'd like to fix this myself, and don't mind replacing the TC (gotta pull it out for a new clutch anyway), but don't want to spend all my free time just diagnosing the problem then spend a lot of time repairing it.

TIA

Dave

Back