• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did I FUBAR? running with no steering fluid...

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so it has been several months now and I want to get this fixed...

PROBLEM: My power steering sucks. Above 5mph it works flawlessly. Sharp turns below 5mph are often very difficult and noisy (can't really describe or locate the sound). If it's acting up I can tap the throttle and it does better once the RPMs get up a little.

WHAT I DID: Several months ago, I had to replace the waterpump on the side of the freeway. During the process of installing the belt I managed to break off the low pressure return line going into the power steering pump resevoir. I lost all fluid. I drove about 2 hours home, almost entirely freeway. I epoxied the return line fitting back on and refilled the resevoir. I have driven it maybe 2-3000 miles with the above symptoms, and they have gone unchanged.

MY SUSPICION: I figure it must be either the Power Steering Pump or Steering Box, or both. I suspect that it is just the pump, since everything works great when I get the RPMs up.

SO, what did I FUBAR, and what needs to be repaired/replaced?

THANKS!

I would guess you burned up the pump.Running that long with no lubrication increased the clearance between the gears and thats why there is no boost at low RPM,s
Time to spend about $ 150 for a pump and hope it comes with a new resevoir,the 3 pumps I tried didn,t have one.
Wayne

Back