• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Driveshaft keeps on spinning...?

xytrix01

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, Here's a fun one for ya.

First the basics:
'89 XJ pioneer L6 242ci, AX-15 5 speed, NP231 T-case, Solid Dana 30 front/XJ dana 44 rear, 4.5" lift, blah, blah, blah...

Now on to my story:

I had the rear end up on jackstands for a brake job. All went well with the install (they still don't work!!!) and after I got everything back together I decided to test it out befor droping it back to the ground. I fired it up, and noticed that the rear drums were turning. Thinking this was odd I checked the tranny. Sure enough, it's in neutral. I look back at the rear...still turning. WTF?????
It stops when I push in the clutch. It also has no power behind it, I can grab the driveshaft with my hand and stop the rotation. The best i can figure is that the syncro for whatever gear I had it in last is staying somewhat engaged to the gear and causing the output shaft to turn? I know s**t when it come to the internals on a tranny.

Bottom line is I'm not to worried about it, because it's not powerful enough to move the car at all, I'm just curious if this is a jeep thing that I don't understand, or a sign from the powers that be that my trany is about to gernade.

-Justin

Slightly warped clutch disc??? the disc may be slightly warped and catching the flywheel a little............

yeah, but why would it make a difference if the clutch was screwed up?? The transmition is in neutral, the engine is running, and I'm not in the car. Thae means that the clutch is fully engaged to the flywheel. I could see if my problem was that the wheels don't stop turning when I push in the clutch, but they do stop. Both in gear and out of it. For some reason power is getting to the tailshaft even when the gearbox is suposedly in neutral.

Bearing Coast??? The input shaft bearing could be weak and starting to free spin, don't know...but its a manual tranny if it starts screamin' at you then you know you've got a problem...

(they still don't work!!!)
This could be either the master cylinder or the brake booster or ths vacumn port on the booster....Just suggestions

Ok, thank you all. I had never experienced this before, and a search turned up nothing. Mabey it's time to change the gear lube?

As for the rear brakes not working, i think I've got air in the line somewhere. The fronts still grab and can stop the car, but the rear hydraulics are nowhere to be seen till I pump the pedal 5-6 times. then they start to engage.

xytrix01 said:
Ok, thank you all. I had never experienced this before, and a search turned up nothing. Mabey it's time to change the gear lube?

As for the rear brakes not working, i think I've got air in the line somewhere. The fronts still grab and can stop the car, but the rear hydraulics are nowhere to be seen till I pump the pedal 5-6 times. then they start to engage.

No need to change the lube... It's normal where the Gear lube is thick... and yes you do need to bleed the brakes some more.... good luck

Back