• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Wheel ID Question...

Hey guys, I want to know what is the trade name for this wheel (as it was referred to by the Jeep company and dealerships). They're from an 80-something Wagoneer I got at a pull-your-part years ago. I like the old school look, and may have them resurfaced eventually. I just want to know what theyre called, any NAXJA searches I do only come up w/ more popular styles like Rubicon wheels and, I can only find them referred to by websites as "10-spoke Aluminum alloy". Thanks, bajacalal.

wheels4kq.jpg

Aftermarket wheels of that type were called "turbines". Seems like I recall those Jeep wheels being referred to as the same......

Out of curiosity, can those wheels - silver ones with some type of clear coat it looks - be restored? If so, how?
Thanks
BSD

Turbines, huh? What are the "wagon wheels" then, are they the 5 or maye 6 spoke? Thanks for the info, guys.

Restoration of the wheel- the old clearcoat can be stripped (actually comes off REALLY easily, w/ acetone I discovered, the wheel polished and then chromed, plated or just refinished. I was thinking of (in the future) having them powder-coated w/ a silver color or clear powdercoat.

Actually, when Jeep was using that wheel I believe the literature referred to it as a "10-spoke alloy wheel."

Short of a professional restoration, you can buy a quart of Aircraft stripper at one of the parts chains, strip off whatever remains of the original clear coat, use fine emery cloth followed by crocus cloth followed by buffing with jwelers' rouge on a cotton or felt wheel to buff the rims and spokes, then spray it with aerosol clearcoat from the auto chain store.

If the outer edges of the rims are badly nicked up from wheel weights or curb rash, I've been able to clean them up somewhat acceptably (albeit not perfect) using a fine flat file before progressing to the emery cloth stage.

10 spoke seems more appropriate than "Sport" and they look more like they should be "Turbines" than the "web" design wheelswhich are listed as turbines. Looked them on a Jeep/Chrysler dealers web site (Tenafly Chrysler/Jeep.com) they have them listed a "Aluminum Sport". OEM cat. just list as wheel, no model....I think I'll just call them 10 Spoke Aluminum Sport wheels....lol

These were on the first XJ I bought. They kind of look like the oem ones you're talking about. The backspacing on them is pretty nice, they stick out more than stock, but not too much. I know very little about these wheels other than them being made in the usa, and 15x7. They're drilled a little which is probably not the safest thing, but they do their job. http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/41e04cc1z83c6de4f/231b/__sr_/7b7f.jpg?phPSt_CBdUUxe8pX

Those are the stock(?) wheels on the '87 MJ I just picked up. They also have a pretty cool center cap on them. They need a bit of cleaning but Ethan and I have decided to keep them.

Back