• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

more stereo installation woes

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
Well I finally got around to working some more on my stereo, but I ran into another problem. How am I supposed to hold the stereo on to the car. The Stereo does not have the same mounts as the old set (which was held in with two screws). I'm not sure how the set can be held down securly, and if its not secure, every bump I go over is going to shake it and cause it to skip. It does have the tangs that can be pulled out, but there is nothing in the jeep for the tangs to catch on to. I was thinking of wedging somthing like a sponge in behind the stereo to stop it from shaking so much, but it still no substitute for being screwed down, I was just wondering what you guys think I should do?

the_bandit87 said:
Well I finally got around to working some more on my stereo, but I ran into another problem. How am I supposed to hold the stereo on to the car. The Stereo does not have the same mounts as the old set (which was held in with two screws). I'm not sure how the set can be held down securly, and if its not secure, every bump I go over is going to shake it and cause it to skip. It does have the tangs that can be pulled out, but there is nothing in the jeep for the tangs to catch on to. I was thinking of wedging somthing like a sponge in behind the stereo to stop it from shaking so much, but it still no substitute for being screwed down, I was just wondering what you guys think I should do?

The old stereo had a bracket attached to it. I replaced an aftermarket deck with a newer aftermarket deck on mine, and my bracket was taped to the stereo, not screwed. Re-use that bracket..

I can't exactly remember since I changed my stereo several years ago, but I think I used the bracket that came with the install kit I purchased. I think it was the only piece of the kit I used, just a rectangular collar that you slide on the back of the unit and push up to the front. It has an ear on each side that should line up with the screw holes from the factory radio. There might be one on the factory unit, I don't remember being able to take mine off, or maybe I thought it was part of the radio and didn't try.

Back