• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Normal Operating Temp.

cguthrie

NAXJA Forum User
I'm just wondering if running at 210 is normal for a 97 stock XJ. About 2 years ago i had a rebuilt engine and new radiator put in at the dealership and it's been running at 210 since. I was gone overseas for a year after that but now i've been driving it more and notice it alot more. ALSO i have another question. When i start it up it the engine runs good for like 10-15 seconds and then it hesitates a couple of times and then goes back to normal. ANY IDEAS TIA

Chris

Last edited:
There are many threads in this forum dealing with the "classic" temp problem of the XJ's, I would advise a little search and you will find a lot of useful information and enjoy a lot of reading

And it usually your temp is normal for an XJ

SACEM

cguthrie said:
I'm just wondering if running at 210 is normal for a 97 stock XJ.
Yes...

Mine runs between just under and just over the 210 mark.

And mine does the Mystery Hesistation during the initial acceleration, too.

It's a Jeep Thing. No one understands.

The initial hesitation sort of sounds like a fuel thing, like it's losing some fuel right after it starts up any more ideas, Thanks alot for everyone that replied about the temp. i was a little worried. Would puttting a lower thermostat in it help lower the temp. and would it be recommended.

Chris

I have 94 XJ, just changed thermostat (cheap) because it was running gauge at 220, and it was 220, thermostat brought it down to 210, then flushed and changed temp sending unit, runs at about 200 now changing the sending unit and thermostat was an inexpensive fix for this one, the fluid flush was about $100. just a good idea at the time.

cguthrie said:
The initial hesitation sort of sounds like a fuel thing, like it's losing some fuel right after it starts up any more ideas, Thanks alot for everyone that replied about the temp. i was a little worried. Would puttting a lower thermostat in it help lower the temp. and would it be recommended.

Chris

No and No.Engine was made to run at this temp all sensors and programs want to see this opperating temp.Don,t worry about the temp until is starts to push water out,then fix the problem.
210* is normal,240* and above would be hot.
Wayne

Yes 210* is normal for the 4.0L engine. The hesition at startup from cold could be the IAS if it is at that time when it happens. Mine hesitates when re-started within 30 minutes after a run especially if I try to accelarate quickly. I am almost sure it is due to heat and the fuel in the line at the injectors evaporating. I have no real proof of this. However, if I open the hood for a few minutes or if I run the electric fans from the manual switch I have installed it do not happen. The under hood tempeture of the XJ especially one with the insulation installed could be very high. Like I said, I am not sure what causes the XJ to stumble on restart after a run but I learn to live with it. How many of you guys have this problem? :wave:

I don't have the hesistation after re-start. It only happens on the "initial", cold accelleration, as the RPMs climb above 3k, and is only noticable if I am giving it more than, say, 1/2 throttle.

It's done it since I bought it 5 years ago (26k) and does it now (89k). It's no better/no worse.

techno1154 said:
The hesition at startup from cold could be the IAS if it is at that time when it happens.QUOTE] What is the IAS, and should it be a concern to me, it only ever happens on cold startup.

Chris

cguthrie said:
techno1154 said:
The hesition at startup from cold could be the IAS if it is at that time when it happens.QUOTE] What is the IAS, and should it be a concern to me, it only ever happens on cold startup.

Chris

IAS (Idle Air Solonoid) is the contraption that replaces the choke strangular flap you find in carbeurators proir the fuel injector era. This solonoid moves in and out and covers or uncovers holes in the trottel body allowing the engine to start more easily when cold by allowing less air into the engine resulting in a higher fuel to air ratio.

Back