• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Downshift problems / Trans TPS

SimpleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, my 89 Xj is acting up again. It doesn't want to downshift until I floor it all the way, and even then it seems sluggish. I have checked the kickdown cable, and it is adjusted and working properly. The engine is a new jasper, so it has plenty of power, but the tranny makes it seem like it's an old hog. While looking at some wiring diagrams I noticed that the 89 has a TPS and a trans TPS, according to my FSM. Why are there two and how do I check the trans TPS.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

89 XJ i6 AW4

SimpleXJ

SimpleXJ said:
Hi everyone, my 89 Xj is acting up again. It doesn't want to downshift until I floor it all the way, and even then it seems sluggish. I have checked the kickdown cable, and it is adjusted and working properly. The engine is a new jasper, so it has plenty of power, but the tranny makes it seem like it's an old hog. While looking at some wiring diagrams I noticed that the 89 has a TPS and a trans TPS, according to my FSM. Why are there two and how do I check the trans TPS.

Thanks in advance for any input on this

89 XJ i6 AW4

SimpleXJ

Make sure the fuse to your TCU isnt blown..

checked the fuse in the fuse box and at the TCU, both are OK. So since they tps and trans TPS are the same, the test procedures should be the same, right? 5v at term A&B and .8 at term B&C?

Thanks,

SimpleXJ

Back